EPA Lowers Prius Mileage Estimate - Feds' Findings Confirm Consumer Complaints

EPA Lowers Prius Mileage Estimate Feds' Findings Confirm Consumer Complaints By Joe Benton ConsumerAffairs.Com

December 19, 2006 Prius owners concerned about poor mileage in their hybrids have been belittled, ridiculed and misled as they searched for some reason why their little cars continually came up short in fuel mileage.

Prius consumers have listened while dealers and technicians offered sometimes outlandish explanations of why their own fuel mileage calculations were wrong and why Toyota claims for the Prius were correct.

Other Prius owners even accused the complainers of disloyalty to the hybrid movement.

Toyota claimed the little hybrid would get 60 miles per gallon in city traffic, not just the 45 many consumers were experiencing.

One Prius owner told ConsumerAffairs.Com that her Toyota technician went so far as to explain how the onboard computer in the Prius took into account of head winds along with other sophisticated calculations.

Now it turns out that most of the hybrid owners questioning Toyota's mileage claims for the Prius were right on target while Toyota was wrong, at least according to the Environmental Protection Agency's new mileage estimates.

The facts seem to be that the Prius gets 45 miles to a gallon on average in the city. That is the new word according to the EPA.

The government fuel economy estimate also confirms ConsumerAffairs.Com's road test of the Prius in July. That test drive concluded that the Prius got 45.2 miles per gallon in vigorous city driving.

Just this last October, the very same EPA that now says the Prius gets roughly 45 miles to a gallon praised the little car for topping the government mileage list with 60 miles per gallon in the city and 51 miles per gallon on the highway despite protests from many Prius owners saying that just wasn't so.

The Prius did not come close to 60 miles per gallon in the ConsumerAffairs.Com test either.

So now the troubling question for Toyota is this: Will the Prius with its new and more reliable mileage rating still be a hit with consumers? Will the little car that is now rated at 45 miles per gallon in the city be as popular as the same car that was believed to get 60 miles per gallon around town?

A Toyota spokeswoman said her company expects customers to understand that the technology in the Prius hasn't changed, and company marketing for the popular hybrid will not be revised.

The desire for fuel economy is the reason most consumers plunk down big bucks for a Prius or one of the other gas-electric hybrids that are consuming a fast-growing slice of the American auto market.

Now that the EPA has washed most of the fiction from its fuel mileage numbers, will the hybrid market suffer?

BobDavis

Let's see... would I want a car that gets 45 mpg around town or one that gets 15 or 20 (again, real world)? Decisions, decisions....

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

On thing that this article completely misses is that the new EPA standards affect all vehicles that are currently covered by them. So, when the Prius goes from 60 MPG to 45 MPH, a 30 MPG car will go to 23 or

24 MPG (depending on whether they round or truncate fractions), and the Hummer will go from 13 to 9 or 10 MPG.
Reply to
Michelle Steiner

Plus, wasn't it the EPA who began the 60 mpg test figures and not Toyota?

Oh, I like the new V8 muscle car Ford is making following the design of the Mustang. Again, the US automakers wonder why?

B~

Reply to
B. Peg

Can't do much about spilled milk, so I would think a lot of future Prius buyers will be pleasantly surprised how much more they get than the EPA sticker. Unfortunately, buyers of traditional cars won't be so lucky. Here in Agawam MA one can get a ticket for letting their car idle for 5 minutes or more. I suppose something like this would be hard to enforce but the gist of it brings to everyone's attention how wasteful it is to do otherwise. I think the Prius is exempt from this ruling ;) mark_

Reply to
mark digital©

My 2000 Avalon was rated 29/19 and got 22.5 (measured with logbook at the gas pump) on the same commute my 2007 Prius gets 45. Myself and many others routinely exceeded the EPA ratings in Avalons without going to any extremes. My last two tanks of gas in the Avalon were 30.5 and 29.5 MPG.

There is/was something about the EPA city tests that the Prius was able to take advantage of, that human drivers can not. Is a gross mistake to extrapolate the Prius EPA ratings to all other vehicles.

The Prius EPA highway rating appears to be about right.

Reply to
David Kelly

The original EPA test involved:

1) many stops 2) average speed less than 30 mph in city 3) average highway speed ~48 mph

This is the driving profile of 40 years ago in rural, small towns not served by interstates. These small towns had nearly universal speed limits of 25 mph and at the city limits, two-lane, 55-60 mph roads. But over time, population shifts, traffic management and road improvements changed how we drive.

The hybrid drive excels at in the original scenario. The specific savings are: (1) auto-stop when coming to a stop, and (2) automatic switching between ICE and EV power. To achieve simular results, I modified my commute route to maximize driving in simular to EPA profiles and it has become easy to replicate the EPA results.

Bob Wilson

Reply to
Bob Wilson

In some respect yes, in other respects no. In summer I can meet the highway figure for any trip longer than 30 miles by driving 55 mph (wind not-with-standing) but on shorter trips I can't overcome the warm-up penalty that quickly. I can meet the city figure only after I get out of the warm-up penalty box and, unfortunately, my commutes to town (3 miles at 55 mph) doesn't get me back on the ice. In the winter, I can't meet either figure, but I only lose about 10%.

Reply to
Bill

. . .

What year or model?

Some of us are working on the problem for the 2001-2003 models:

Sorry about the poor English. Some was quoted from friends overseas and I haven't take a lot of time to edit everything down due to other time constraints.

Bob Wilson

Reply to
Bob Wilson

2005 L6