Ethos gasoline additive - fact or fiction?

A colleague (not a Prius owner, but interested in alternative fuel vehicles) asked me if I knew anything about the claims being made by a company that sells an additive called Ethos (I think it's basically acetone). The claim is that mileage can be improved by up to 20% or so simply by adding 1 oz. per gallon of the stuff. Read about it here:

My brief bit of research suggests that acetone may have some positive effect on gas efficiency, but my gut tells me otherwise, especially considering the hard sell. I have no interest in it for myself (a Prius owner), but I told him I would ask the Prius community, since they tend to be well-informed in these matters. Any opinions or facts to share? Thanks, Doug

Reply to
DougSlug

And if you buy Doublemint gum, you'll either (a) be as good looking and popular as those girls, or (b) get to have sex with those girls.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

It's a sort of "distributor" arrangement. Buy this Kickapoo Joy Juice in quantity, and con your friends... Out of curiosity I looked more closely and found this:

Ethos For Earth TRADEMARK REGISTRANT

4095 Delmar Avenue, Suite 10 Rocklin, CA 95677
EthosForGas 14100 Walsingham Road Ste 36 #12 Largo, Florida 33774 (apparently a mail drop)

And many distributors...

If this stuff worked as claimed, would you have to buy it mail-order?

Reply to
Ike

Someone tell GM, Ford etc about acetone, they need a quick fix !

Reply to
roadriderob

Having a mental age greater than 12 and, more importantly, being a cynic, it's quite easy for me to ignore the sales pitch...but is there any scientific fact behind the product? There is some information that suggests esters can increase fuel burning efficiency, but there is likely a major disadvantage to that. Or is it all just a "big oil" conspiracy? ;-)

Reply to
DougSlug

Acetone is already a component of gasoline. Gasoline is a cocktail of hydrocarbons, "octane" is only one of the better known components of the cocktail.

Reply to
David Kelly

"DougSlug" wrote in news:483d5100$0$11609$ snipped-for-privacy@cv.net:

Aha, the MLM marketoid fraud.

Acetone does real good on plastic. Just put it in yer tank and prepare to pay for the replacement parts eaten up by the chemical dissolving them. Also seems like the stuff would redeposit plastic inside that gas engine's cylinders so tack in an engine re-build too.

Reply to
Binarysurfer