First Driving Impressions

Just got a new Prius at work. It has the Touring Package. I've put about 50 miles on it and my first impressions are a mixed bag. The good news is I got 42 mpg on the trip home from the office, which is about twice what I usually get. The car has no problem keeping up with traffic. It rides ok and seemed relatively quiet inside but I still had difficulty understanding some of the stuff on the radio and the sound just seemed weird somehow.

I did not find the seating position to be particularly comfortable. The seat cushion is angled too low in front and isn't adjustable and there is not enough lower back support, which is also not adjustable. The tilt steering wheel only has a tiny amount of up and down adjustment, hardly worth bothering with. The touch screen is cute but I'm not in love yet with having to pick a menu to get to the AC controls and radio controls. But since they also have them on the steering wheel I'm sure that once you learn which buttons to push its not a problem, just takes familiarization.

The "numbers" for acceleration indicate it's got enough power to keep up with traffic but I find the lack of immediate OOMPH when you push the pedal takes some of the fun out of things but realize it's undoubtedly a tradeoff for the better gas mileage. The drive train sort of feels like things are connected with bungee cords. Brakes are great, steering feel good.

The Smart Key system is great, I wish all the vehicles I drive had it. If I was paying for the gas I'd consider it a keeper for my commute but since my employer is paying for the gas I'm going to send this Prius to our motor pool and stick with my 2005 Crown Vic assigned vehicle as it's got better throttle response and better lower back support, two major items for me. And I think it's radio sounds better too.

It will be interesting to see how the users feel about it after they get some miles on it, mostly they now drive Taruses.

Reply to
demi

You're trying to compare apples to oranges. A luxury car to a Prius isn't a fair comparison. The OOMPH won't be there, neither would it be there in any 4 cylinder gas engine car. Seating comfort is somewhat lacking in the Prius. Something I believe Toyota should address. This is definitely a techie car. You've got to like bells and whistles, or you'll never like the car.

I don't think this car is the type you can force on someone (fleet car purchase). You've got to like it, some come around to it, but others will never take to it.

Sorry you don't like it, but it really is a nice car.

Reply to
Jim Smith

Reply to
Dave

Whatever!

Reply to
Jim Smith

Since when hasn't it? I've always seen it classified as such.

Reply to
Mike Rosenberg

I like it OK and would even own one if I was the one paying for the gas!!! But there are a few things that can still be improved. I am amazed that after people have been making cars for around 100 years they still make seats without sufficient lower back support.

If I gave the impression I thought it was a bad car that's the wrong impression. But I think you are right, a lot of people will pass it up due to looks, or size, or it's techieness. I know people who would be very confused in trying to operate the AC and radio because they already have trouble with the old fashioned ones with mechanical levers and dials.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

We have a 2007 Prius and love almost everything about it, except the lack of adjustability of the driver's seat.

The Prius is by no means inexpensive, and I don't think it would adversely affect mileage to allow a little adjustable thigh support.

Reply to
newsgroups.comcast.net

I disagree totally on the respose when you hit the gas. I find the electric motor's lack of any hesitation and never a misfire, to give me confidence when pulling out into traffic. In fact I think that I get to aggressive sometimes, since I know exactly how it will respond when I hit the gas. I find the pickup to be totally acceptable for legal road driving.

I thought the drive train was a bit twitchy at highway speeds first, but you soon get used to that. It is just hybrid system doing its thing.

I just got in from a snowy ride on the NYS Thruway and you got to love the stability control. I was the only one in the left lane and I felt totally secure. It just goes where you steer it, no matter whether the rlane is clear on the right side and bumnpy with snow on the left. It is totally new experience to drive in snow with the stability control. Awesome! And I haven't even bought snows yet.

MJB

Reply to
markjb

It's the premium Ford logo'd car. Base price for the LX is about $27k, and with all the goodies it's about $40k.

A comparable (in size, weight, capacity) Mercedes is twice that price.

Reply to
Ike

If you jam your foot into it there's not much hesitation, but for just what I would call a normal "fast start" it doesn't seem to like doing that. Maybe that what resulted in you feeling you are getting a little aggressive sometimes - you are compensating for the softness of a more gentle foot.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher