Followup response

Let me preface this by saying: If you want a Prius, you should definately persue it. I'm sure that you can find one if you search for it.

However:

Today, in response to the usual sales followup letter, I called the salesperson that sold me my Prius last month. He said that he was glad we managed to complete the transaction. He said that, currently, he has a 2 page waiting list for the Prius. He is quoting 1 - 1 1/2 year delivery. Apparently, in addition to high demand from the public, some rental car companies have placed an order with Toyota for 70,000 Prii. I certainly hope that Toyota can ramp production pretty fast. They are probably accelerating the movement of hybridization into their other models also.

I knew demand and wait times were up, but I had no idea they had gotten this far.

OK, like I said, don't let the above deter you. There may be other dealers with far better supply chains than my dealer in western Virginia.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Missman

I bought my 2003 Prius via Ebay and I see there are new and used units that continue to come available. The Ebay, completed listings show cars are being bought and sold.

Bob Wilson

Reply to
Bob Wilson

As a completely satisfied Prius owner I must offer two caveats:

2001-2003 Priuses are rather different than 2004+ models.

Be very careful of buying one that was in an accident and not repaired by a Toyota-certified Prius technician (or worse, of course, a salvaged Prius). They are complicated cars, and some significant damage can go undetected and unrepaired.

Reply to
richard schumacher

Agreed but even the 2001-2003 Priuses are so much better than the alternatives.

Our loan officer was very helpful and her best recomendation was to buy from a dealer. This solves the problem of title and most of the vehicle inspection.

One other recommendation is to know the Blue book value of the different cars. When I saw mine for $1 k under Blue book, it was an easy decision. BTW, to buy a car on Ebay you have to meet some additional rules to verify you have credit.

Go well prepared and not be in a hurry and there are good deals that show up from time to time.

Bob Wilson

Reply to
Bob Wilson