Fuel capacity

For three years my 2003 Prius has never taken more than 10.8 gallons for a single fill. It's only reached that amount once. I've filled the tank in all different climates and altitudes. Imagine my surprise while I'm watching the pump go beyond 11 gallons and finally click off at 12.395? I was pissed and confused too. I mean, the weather has been great. I've kept my speeds to less than 55 and many other things happened that should have resulted in fantastic mpg. The damn nozzle was all the way inside too!!! Was I driving on fumes??

Anyway, not only did I say something to the station manager, I called the Weights and Measures guy here in town. He's going to check it out but noticed the station's last check was "recent" (6 months ago recent?). I also mentioned that another gas station (Sunoco) has pumps that jump up 3 or

4 cents before any gas flows. Sounds like the gas is flowing back into their tanks (how convenient) after it shuts off.

What do you think about this 12.4 gallon fill up? Has anyone ever ran out of fuel and filled the tank beyond 11.9 gallons?

TIA mark_

Reply to
mark digital

I've been at one blinking bar and never managed to squeeze 10 gallons into mine. His pump is off and you can prove that by going back with a gas can that holds a measured amount of gas.

Reply to
Bill

I suspect much of the quirky behavior is in the programming of the display. It seems to go to great lengths to smooth out its response, even to the extent that you can add a couple gallons of gas and the display won't show it. When the level gets lower it seems to get more "real." If that means changing its mind from saying you had 1/3 tank to only one bar, so be it.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

He put in 12.395 gallons, which exceeds the prius capacity.

Bill wrote:

Reply to
Bill

From what I understand, the fuel bladder is inside a rigid steel container. I'm thinking the capacity is figured with the bladder stretched to conform to it's confinement. But you may be right, the filler neck might hold 3/4 gallon and he may have shut the car off just as it was running out of gas.

Reply to
Bill

The nozzle was all the way inside the filler, and once it automatically shut off at 12.395 gallons that was that. I probably would have been spitting bullets if I had waited another few seconds and it took more in the filler neck. Speaking of the gas gauge bars, I figured the first bar would disappear after many more miles than I'm used to because of this fill up. Fat chance. First bar disappeared after 90 miles. I've seen it disappear after 130 miles many times. Hmmm... 90 from 130 is 40. Maybe I was still short 3/4 of a gallon from a totally full tank. I should be hearing from the W&M inspector soon.

mark_

Reply to
mark digital

Were you at one blinking bar when you pulled in? I've got to believe that pump was off.

Reply to
Bill

Yes. I drove an additional 15 miles so I could get closer to home before filling. Yesterday morning I drove by the gas station and the two nozzles from that one pump were booted (locked out). Now its a question as to how much they were in error.

About a month ago another pump at the same station failed to stop and gasoline gushed out all over the ground and subsequently on the bottom of my shoes. I told the manager and his response was simply to ask for the full amount. No compensation. Yet it didn't dawn on me afterwards there was a reason speedy-dri was all over the area when I pulled up to the pump and got out. So my advice to anyone else reading this is avoid a pump that has some sort of absorbent on the ground, the station managers and attendants are too inconsiderate to shut it down. In the old days it was OK to let the pump be used because it was usually the customer's fault for gas on the ground. But not nowadays, unless someone filled a gas can or something else other than a vehicle. mark_

Reply to
mark digital

There was a thread last year (?) about potential errors in gas pumps. The short of it was that the standards were pretty tight, although they varied by state. Anyway, one of the newspaper articles a link pointed to indicated the procedure in the case of a question about accuracy was to take the pump out of service within 24 hours until it could be scheduled for retest. Dunno what state that was.

Typical out-of-tolerance results reported were around 1%, although one was around 5%

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee