Healthy Used Prius Market

One of the best sources are the completed sales from Ebay. It includes the sale price, model year, mileage, and accident/salvage status. So I've collected the data in a number of charts:

The market is quite healthy and with $3-4/gallon gas, getting better.

Now if one wants a Prius for modifications or experimental purposes, salvage and accident ones provide excellent value.

But the most interesting data is the distribution of miles/year for these cars:

We find a double-humped curve suggesting two groups of owners. One set drive under 15,000 miles per year and their vehicles offer excellent value for a used Prius. The others are 'road warriors' who easily exceed the 15,000 miles often used in faux "is it worth it" analysis. The big lie so often touted by hybrid skeptics.

Prices for used Prius will continue to increase in part due to $4/gal gas and shortages that should hit home in mid-May. We're looking at people selling their Prius for prices approaching their original sale price. Sad to say, the gassers are not so lucky.

Bob Wilson

Reply to
bwilson4web