How do Prius rate in collisions?

How do Prius rate in collisions...front...back...side...car falling on them from outer space? Some friends of mine were killed in what I thought was a safe large sedan recently and I guess it scared the hell out of me about cars as being invulnerable chariots of safety...

Reply to
BobDavis

In Europe the Prius has one of the highest overall safety ratings: .

Paul

Reply to
Paul Russell

Thanks. Don't Europeans drive smaller vehicles than in the US?

Reply to
BobDavis

Unfortunately there's been a trend towards SUVs and larger vehicles in general in recent years, so as with so many other things, we're heading the same way as the US. Lifted pickup trucks can't be too far off now.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Russell

My own experience probably wouldn't be of any help to you because mine is a

2003. I can say though, from what I've observed, Prius owners seem to be less inclined to race a yellow light, and instead sit quietly for the next green. According to one study from a well known insurance company Prius drivers tend to abide by the speed limit. In this past week I've seen two SUV's in two seperate incidences roll over onto their side, back up traffic miles and miles while a wrecker right sided them back up. If it were up to me I'd let them sit there until the traffic died down. Carelessness shouldn't be rewarded by speedy service. mark_
Reply to
mark digital©

Yes, but traffic would be slow until the vehicle is removed as everybody "rubbernecks" to see the SUV on its side.

Reply to
Dave

On a vacation road trip through California freeways a few years ago, I was very surprised to observe California drivers racing 85 mph past a vehicle on the shoulder that had totally flipped over. No one rubbernecked. And if someone was getting a ticket, no one stopped to gawk like a tourist. Considering the sea of red tail lights if someone just gets pulled over by the police in my home state, that's at least one thing about California of which I am jealous.

Reply to
drummer342

Things must have changed since I lived there. In the early '70s I worked in Oakland and lived in Hayward. I got on the Nimitz freeway one evening to find the congestion unusually bad. We crawled for a mile or so until we got to a patrol car on the side of the freeway - no lights on, no other car - and beyond that the traffic flowed freely. Feh!

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Which Prius, Classic 2001-2003 NHW11 or the current 2004-2007 NHW20? You'll find more info on the current NHW20 as the production numbers are much higher (so more likely to be tested).

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), USA, gives the

2001-2003 Toyota Prius:
3 star driver, 4 star passenger; side: 3 star front seat, 3star rear seat; 4 star rollover rating2760 lbs. (Passenger car, Compact) NHTSA gives the 2004-2005 Toyota Prius w/ no side air bags:
5 star driver, 4 star passenger; side: 4 star front seat, 4star rear seat; 4 star rollover rating2954 lbs. (Passenger car, Compact) NHTSA gives the 2006 Toyota Prius w/ no side air bags:
4 star driver, 4 star passenger; side: 4 star front seat, 4star rear seat; 4 star rollover rating2954 lbs. (Passenger car, Compact) NHTSA gives the 2007 w/side air bags:
5 star driver, 4 star passenger; side: 4 star front seat, 4star rear seat; 4 star rollover rating2954 lbs. (Passenger car, Compact)

Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) gives the 2004-2007 Prius:

(Frontal offset measured a "green G") Class: Small car Weight: 2,972 lbs. Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags and front seat-mounted torso airbags

(Side impact with front and rear head curtain airbags and front seat-mounted torso airbags, measured a "green G") Class: Small car Weight: 2,959 lbs. Side airbags: optional front and rear head curtain airbags and optional front seat-mounted torso airbags

(Side impact without side airbags, measured a "red P") Class: Small car Weight: 2,945 lbs. Side airbags: none

(Rear crash protection, measured an "orange M")

(Note that the US 2007 Prius now comes standard with the side and side curtain airbags! SAB are no longer an option for new US Prius...)

European New Car Assessment Programme (NCAP), 2004 Toyota Prius:

3Adult occupant rating: 5 stars; Pedestrian rating: 2 stars (of 4);Child Protection rating: 4 stars.Test Scores: Front 14 (88%) Side 18 (100%) Belt Reminder 2 Overall 34Pedestrian 13 (36%) Child Protection 43 (88%)(note that the tested European Prius comes with side air bags and VSC)Class: Large family carWeight: 1300 kg

Australasian New Car Assessment Program (ANCAP), (Australia & New Zealand), 2004 Toyota Prius (i-tech model, which has side air bags):

06Overall: 5 stars (score of 33.72 out of 37); Pedestrian rating: 2 stars(of 4)

National Agency for Automotive Safety & Victim's Aid (NASVA), (Japan),

2004 Toyota Prius (S model):
crash videos!)Class: Passenger Cars A Displacement 1500cc or less (excluding1BOX&Minivans) Displacement: 1,496cc Vehicle weight: 1,250kg Overall Collision Safety Ratings: Driver's seat: 6 stars (of 6) - 98.2%, front passenger's seat: 5 stars (of 6) - 89.7% Full-wrap frontal collision test: Driver's seat: level 4 (of 5) - 85.9%, front passenger's seat: level 4 (of 5) - 79.3% Offset frontal collision test: Driver's seat: level 5 (of 5) - 93.9%, front passenger's seat: level 5 (of 5) - 96.9% Side collision test: Driver's seat: level 5 (of 5) - 100%
Reply to
mrv

Reply to
BobDavis