How to "break in"?

Less than 2 weeks and my Prius will be delivered! Any hints on breaking in the car? Within 4 weeks I have to travel to Germany (from Belgium, yes, that's where I live..). A lot of highway, in Germany even without any speed limit. In total about 1500 miles. Any suggestions? Max. speed the first 300 miles? 1000 miles?...

Reply to
Carpe Diem

Do whatever it says in your owner's manual. Paraphrasing the 2004 owner's manual: for the first 1000 km avoid excessive speed, hard acceleration and hard braking. "Excessive" and "hard" were not explicitly defined, but this does not sound like a good prescription for Germany :_>

Reply to
richard schumacher

I broke mine in with a 400 mile trip. Per dealers request I changed speed every 5 minutes or so. 55, 60,65,70,75,70,65,60,55 etc. Have no idea if doing so made any difference.

Reply to
Bill

"richard schumacher" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@news.isp.giganews.com...

It's not my intention to drive like the germans (100 or 110 mph, or even more...). But I just wonder : what is the maximum speed I can hold for hours, knowing that the car will only have 1000 miles or even less? Is 70 mph reasonable? Or can I do 75?

Reply to
Carpe Diem

"Bill" schreef in bericht news:7cOdnQW7LpIA53XZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@onvoy.com...

So 75 mph seems to be the maximum speed for the first 400 miles.

Reply to
Carpe Diem

That was 5 mph over the speed limit. Subsequent to the break-in, the fastest I've driven mine 85 while passing an asshole who accelerated when I was alongside. It's pretty snappy from 55 to 85.

Reply to
Bill

"Bill" schreef in bericht news:UJmdnf0gJpmEXXXZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@onvoy.com...

OK, thanks.