Hybrid War: Honda vs Toyota

Business Week

Given the parlous state of the auto industry, the rivalry between Honda's new Insight and Toyota's third-generation Prius is proving to be an enjoyable diversion. Committed to increasing sales of gas-electric models, the companies are launching hybrid cars in quick succession-and neither one is skimping when it comes to generating hype...

Continued:

rtc

Hope their TOTAL Life CO2 will be less than a Jeep with the new model

Reply to
Ttoommy

Reply to
Mr. G

Actually, it is going for a HCX /Insight 1/FCX Clarity look, the Prius copied Honda, not the other way.

Reply to
Justbob30

The original Insight looks *nothing* like either the new Insight or the Prius, and the Clarity concept car wasn't unveiled until long after the NHW20 Prius.

Reply to
Mr. G

The original 2-seater Insight had that same look, and it predated the Prius.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

Right.

Their goal is to create a less expensive alternative. They're balancing a good purchase cost with good, but not phenomenal, fuel economy.

Oh--and they're catering to the trendy who have to show off with a hybrid-exclusive body style.

Prius is $3K more expensive, and for that you get better fuel economy and more available options.

I think Toyota is going to come in with a Yaris that's smaller and cheaper than the Honda, which means they'll bracket the Honda when all is said and done.

Competition is great.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Does anyone who does not have a private jet at their beck and call actually drive these the most ungreen of green cars?

Reply to
Ttoommy

I've just driven the new Insight. As an owner of the current-edition Prius since its release in October 2003, my opinion of the Honda entry is of course mostly shaped by my Prius experience. I've also driven the Accord and Civic hybrids, though. Nice cars, but seem to be playing catch-up. They all run much like a series hybrid rather than the remarkable Toyota parallel system.

Few will drive Insight and Prius and choose the Honda, as it's simply less of a car. When the new Prius reaches the market, the difference will grow.

Ike

Reply to
Ike

I think you have the wrong newsgroup; the Hummer group is down the hall.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

Yeah, Ike, I guess it is a matter of perspective. I have an HCHII, the reasons I bought it are many, first I did not want to tell the world "look at me I have a hybrid" it is more like a car not a video game with an overall better look and feel. I have driven the Prius 1,000 miles in 4 days, not fun...less headroom, seating position too upright, I HATE the video game screen, I HATE the a/c controls, the bar across the back, the seating position is too high & too upright, less headroom odd console, cup holder, pushbutton start, shift knobbie on the dash to bang my knee on the list goes on and on, yes I know it has more interior room than the Civic but in the cargo area, not in the passenger area where it counts....so, while my Civic may not be a Prius, I am thankful for that every day, yeah, I get 1 less mpg than my friend with a prius but, who cares, at least I have a car I am comfortable in and does not have a top heavy skitterish ride. I does look like the 2010 prius has fixed most of my issues, I am sure the seating position has not been fixed because for me Toyotas (generally)have the most uncomfortable seats on the market and I see the bar across the back is there too (a major fault on the insight too, sadly).

"Ike" wrote in message news:gqt6t6$fg5$ snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org...

Reply to
Justbob30

Yes Tommy, People do, in spite of your obvious hybrid misinformation and disgust for anything different than what you have. you have posted 2 vague accusations now, post some facts and, please don't post that tired urban legend about the nickel mines in Canada that were cleaned up 10 years before the Hybrid was introduced

Reply to
Justbob30

Everyone will evaluate the features and size against the price for each vehicle, and will make his own choice.

Not everyone wants or can afford the Prius. While they might have otherwise bought a Corolla, now that the Honda is out many will go that route.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

250 miles a day??? Where's the stress in THAT?

The Prius is a very comfortable car, even for 1000 miles in one day.

I don't even see it anymore. I agree--it was way too much "look at me! I'm different!"

??? Little button on the wheel--it goes up, it goes down, the temperature goes accordingly.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

I guess you and I have very different ideas of what constitutes looking 'alike'. I've seen the Insight in a showroom, I've seen photos, and there's one I often see on my drive to work. It has never occurred to me that it looks anything like a Prius. Or the new Insight.

Reply to
Mr. G

Absolutely agreed.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

thus spoke the green taliban :(

CO2 MUST be cut by 80% by 2050 yet even green experts say its only higher than the 14th C by 30% - WTF?

Reply to
Ttoommy

Those are percentages of two different things, in much the same way that the debt and the deficit are different.

The 80% cut by 2050 refers to CO2 emissions. Globally, we're currently emitting on the order of 30 billion tonnes of CO2 annually.

The 30% increase refers to the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere, currently 387 ppmv, or about 3 trillion tonnes.

Cutting emissions by 80% by 2050 would mean that atmospheric CO2 levels should peak at around 450 to 500 ppmv, or about 60-80% higher than pre-industrial levels.

Reply to
Lucius Accius

The original Insight looked, to me, nothing like the '04 Prius or the new Insight.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.