HYBRIDS HERE TO STAY

Guess you aus.cars dinosaurs will finally relent and bow to your hybrid masters lol.

"The expansion of Toyota's local hybrid range is in keeping with the global ambitions of the company, which plans to have a hybrid version of every vehicle in its range by the 2020s."

Reply to
Lu R

The hybrid motor is just a better idea...like disc brakes...McPherson struts...radial tires...unibody suspension...bumper covers, etc. Those were all considered 'radical' when they first appeared but now every car on the road has them.

Reply to
David T. Johnson

In what way is it "better"?

.like disc brakes...

Disc brakes have been around for a very long time and a long time before they were fitted to popular cars.

McPherson

None of those things were ever considered "radical".

Daryl

Reply to
D Walford

Here to stay? I think not. Hybrids by their very nature are a short- term engineering 'solution' to a problem. Do you seriously think that people will be driving petrol/electric vehicles in 20 years time?

Reply to
Marty

We've been driving petrol/electric trains for the past 50 years.

Reply to
Was Istoben

A train that runs on petrol?!!?

Reply to
Knobdoodle

Relax. He's American :)

-- Regards, Noddy.

Reply to
Noddy

You mean diesel electric.

But they're not hybrids. The engine drives a generator, which powers traction motors which turn the wheels. The engine never drives the wheels directly.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 10:57:17 +1000, Struggling with , Marty blathered on with:

Only over the pile of dead bodies of OilCo shareholders...

Hang on - aren't they beavering away on fuel-cells that run on of all things, oil?

Duh - they're Saved, massa!

Reply to
Toby Ponsenby

Was Istoben

Thanks for that, but what part of that interesting article had anything to do with *petrol*?

-- Regards, Noddy.

Reply to
Noddy

In the American dialect "petrol" is short for "petroleum." Since you know nothing of our society, I can understand your confusion.

Reply to
Was Istoben

David Z is that you using another name?

Daryl

Reply to
D Walford

Has a David Z style to it doesen't it. :-)

Reply to
Dan----

Hmm...

I've been to the US twice. Once because I actually wanted to go, and once because I didn't but had to. Both trips were centred around car stuff. Both times I met some interesting people and saw some interesting sights, but I never once heard anyone mention petrol at all. In fact, when I mentioned it on occasion it was met with curiosity by some as they had no idea what I was talking about. I had to resort to the American term of "gas" so people could understand what I was talking about.

Diesel was "diesel", wherever you went.

-- Regards, Noddy.

Reply to
Noddy

Lol :)

Ain't hard to see where ol' Davy boy gets his smarts from, huh? :)

-- Regards, Noddy.

Reply to
Noddy

Of course they are because there will always be halfwits such as yourself willing to blow their load and cash on an overpriced gimmick

Even the big US utes are being made as hybrids now Saw a Dodge Ram(might have been a Dakota) hybrid being tested don't know how successful that would be

Kev

Reply to
Kev