If the engine fails or you run out of gas

If the internal combustion engine fails or the Prius runs out of gas, is it capable of moving at slow speeds to a safe location? If so, about what kind of range would it have, assuming the battery has an average level of capacity?

Reply to
Sam Inman

About a mile or two.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

I was able to drive about 1 mile at normal in town speeds (30-45) when I ran out of gas. My level was about 3 bars short of full. After filling up it started right up with no problems.

Sam > If the internal combustion engine fails or the Prius runs out of gas, is

Reply to
Eskimoe

Remember: when the last bar starts to blink it means "buy gas right now, damn it".

Reply to
richard schumacher

If he was 3 bars short of full when he ran out, he was a long way from one blinking bar. Sounds like a bad gauge to me.

Reply to
Bill

"Bill" wrote

I think he was saying the battery (SOC) indicator showed 3 bars short of full.

I routinely wait for the gas gauge to start blinking and then drive up to 50 miles more before buying gas. I've never added more than 9.7 gallons to fill the tank.

Al

Reply to
A Sherman

Oh sure, why didn't I think of that? I do the same thing, Al, with the same results.

Reply to
Bill