Initial impressions

That strap is to tie down a full-size tire if you have to put on the spare. A full-size tire will not fit in the well that the spare is in.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

Paul Missman wrote: [snip]

I have to chuckle at this, because, coming from my VW manual, I think the one for the Prius is great. The VW manual--for my car anyway--is LOTS of separate little booklets, and it is a real pain to look anything up. At least there is manual for the Prius (in addition to the quick start one and other little one).

Reply to
Jean B.

LOL! Thanks! With her slight but noticable accent, it's hard to tell!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Living in western MN where wind is a significant mileage factor, I've been wishing it had an airspeed indicator. :-)

Reply to
Calidous

That was one of my key learnings too. The cruise control uses very gentle changes to the acceleration, so it keeps the ICE off longer. When I'm on a long, straight thoroughfare at 25 or higher I set the cruise and marvel at the milage.

My wife, on the other hand, blips the throttle when the speed falls, kicking in the ICE much more frequently. Her milage (when I'm sick, for instance) is always significantly lower than mine.

Reply to
dbs__usenet

Hopefully you didn't mention this to her. :-)

Reply to
Calidous

Yes, like most of us would, I did mention it. Now she manually turns off the AC (I've a classic) whenever it's not too hot.

She's a great gal!

Reply to
dbs__usenet

I got my Prius a week ago, and have driven it 400 miles.

Driving was pretty much the same as I recalled from the 2004 rental I had a year ago, so I won't comment on that.

My main initial impression was that the dash is very dark for night driving. There is a faint glow that barely allows me to identify the buttons on the steering wheel, but you really have to learn the usage and location of the touch screen controls and the buttons to access the screens. At first I had the feeling of being in the cockpit of a small plane, but I am now getting used to it.

I got 52 mpg for the first 300 miles, and filling the tank confirmed that the mpg indicated on the screen was accurate. Today my mileage dropped to about 50, perhaps due to higher highway speeds, or could it possibly be related to cooler temperatures? My previous car had a dramatic increase of mpg when the weather was warm.

I used the "car talk" mirror setting method, and it certainly worked well.

My car has package #4 in Tideland Pearl. I find it difficult to see the green in it. I'd call it a grey.

The MSRP increased by about $400 since I ordered it in February. The car came with the Preferred accessory package, rear bumper appliqué, and wheel locks that I did not order. I paid the agreed upon MSRP for the car, and the dealer sold me the extras at cost.

I'm sure I'll be very happy with this car.

Al

Reply to
A Sherman