insurance rates

Shopping for insurance for my 2006 Prius, I am finding insurance quotes are twice what I was paying for my 2000 Outback. Have others encountered this with the Prius? By the way, I have a flawless driving record--not even a parking ticket, ever.

Reply to
chica

My Prius replaced a 2001 Hyundai Sonata. The total premium was about

60% higher for the Prius over what I was paying on the Sonata. The difference was in collision and comprehensive. But it is understandable - Liability is the same cost but the Prius is brand new at about $25K, vs. the Sonatas fair market value of about $8,500. Three time the risk. The Prius cost about the same as my 2005 Chrsyler Pacifica to insure.
Reply to
Curtis CCR

That explains why. The "big one" has yet to come :)

Seriously though, I saw a 1/5th increase going from a 12 year old Chevy van to the Prius. About $150. But for the last two years rates have come down almost that amount across the board. Maybe your updated information such as where it's being garaged and how much you plan on driving has influenced the rate quotes. Do you have a multi-vehicle plan with one company or did you drop one vehicle? Is your house or home insured with the same company too? Sometimes putting things all under one umbrella saves quite a bit. My insurance (broker) is only a few blocks from where I live and it's nice to be able to sit down with him and discuss things like this. I know I'm paying a small amount more but the convenience is well worth it. Small office and quick courteous treatment. mark_

Reply to
mark digital

You went from wondering about an extended warrantee to actually purchasing a Prius in less time it takes to tie one's shoes? And now you're wondering about acquiring insurance? Were you posting your questions while at the dealership?

Reply to
mark digital