Love my new Prius

Any way to automate the shifting from d to b and back?

Reply to
Tom Ricostronza

why in the world would you want to do that? only use "b" when going down long mountains to keep from riding the brakes.

Reply to
user

So you have to live in Colorado to use the b? Sheesh. I guess you don't like recharging for free that much. Any whoo, love my Prius.

Reply to
Tom Ricostronza

If the brake lights came on during *B* mode I wouldn't have a problem with using that mode on level ground. The next time a patrol car is behind you, use your *B* mode. Let's see what the officer has to say about it.

-----

Reply to
mark digital©

Nothing, I'd expect. The effect of the B mode is no more braking than you would get by letting off the throttle in a manual transmission car.

Reply to
Larry Van Wormer

Under the vast majority of circumstances, you'll regenerate LESS energy in B mode than in D mode.

B stands for engine braking (like a jake brake in a truck, but somewhat like downshifting to 2 or 1 from D in an automatic). B does not stand for battery.

The owner's manual warns that you'll have lower fuel economy if you drive around in B. (The engine spins to help slow you down, so you coast less in B than in D.)

Reply to
mrv

Nope, parts of California, Nevada, and even Arizona too. (Those are the only states I've driven my Prius in, but I'm sure there are other states as well, where you can use "b".)

You don't recharge for free. Using "B" in other situations lowers gas mileage.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

Never drove one, eh?

Reply to
mark digital©

If a cop gets on my tail, I hit the brakes hard. I figure the drunk bumpkin will make me very rich. :-)

Reply to
Tom Ricostronza

In the other states, I carry my Prius in my backpack. Saw a Fourtwo at the grocery store the other day. Small crowd around it.

I don't use b unless I'm coming to a long stop off an incline or it isn't worth the hassle to shift...and remember to shift back. I'm scared I'll shift into R and all my savings will be undone. :-)

Reply to
Tom Ricostronza

As a matter of fact, I have, and lots of manual trannys too...

Reply to
Larry Van Wormer

If he's on your tail as a result of you slamming on your brakes I hope you have a good excuse. The auto insurance industry is getting wise to this kind of tactic.

Reply to
mark digital©

Uh, tailgating is illegal. I live in a state where if they rear end you, it's their fault. Always. Period. Even if it's God Almighty driving his Golden Chariot. God gets ticketed. :-)

Reply to
Tom Ricostronza

Where I am at I get told two different stories. First, supposedly tailgating isn't illegal and supposedly it's difficult to prove. On the other hand, state police are out ticketing aggressive drivers who follow too close. I know this because it's reported on the nightly news. Last night it was raining very hard and it was very dark. I'm traveling the slow lane doing speed limit of 55. Highway merges with another highway on my right, so I'm technically in the fourth lane. I need to maneuver over to the slowest lane to take the next exit. I signal to change lanes, keep a careful eye on the vehicle ahead of me in my lane, there's someone behind me, and there's a advancing vehicle in the lane I'm trying to get into. Instead of flashing his headlights allowing me to move over, he just keeps advancing. Finally I had to change lanes. Although there was still enough room the idiot came up very close and blasted his horn. I still had two more lanes to cross and the idiot followed too. If it wasn't so important to exit off I would have followed him; a safe distance away. Give him a reason to think twice about using his horn and his pseudo ramming effect.

Reply to
mark digital©

This must be OT month.

Reply to
Michael Pardee

OT is good. I get to know Tom and Tom gets to know me.

Reply to
mark digital©

Why? If you do an improper shift (such as RD while moving), the NHW20 Prius will just beep at you and put the car into Neutral. No harm done. (Other improper shifts are listed in the owner's manual.)

It's kinda eerie shifting my NHW11 Classic Prius from RD while moving (which requires you to press a button before sliding the traditional gear shift in that direction). You'll start slowing down, and then start speeding up in the opposite direction!

Reply to
mrv

The manual told me not to do it, so I never tried. How fast were you going?

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I've accidentally hit the shift and it moved without pushing the button. No requirement at all.

Reply to
mark digital©

It's all good. Wonder who has the mightier car love club: Saturn owners or Prius owners. To me, Saturns just blend in. Prius stand out. YMMV.

Reply to
Tom Ricostronza