Maint Reqd Light

Had routine maintenance done just before I hit the 20,000 mile mark with my '05. Now the MAINT REQD light has gone on. Can anyone tell me how to turn it off? TIA

Reply to
Richard Warren

They forgot to reset it when they did your maintenance. Same thing happened to ours last time. There's a complicated process to go through that's in your owners manual.

- Piper

Reply to
Piper

Not particularly complicated:

  1. Turn the power switch IG-ON and make sure that the ODO/TRIP meter is displaying the odometer.

  1. Turn the power switch OFF.

  2. While pushing the ODO button, turn the power switch IG-ON.

  1. The reminder light will flash until the reset is completed.

  2. The reset is complete when the reminder light turns OFF. Release the ODO button.

  1. After the reset, the ODO/TRIP meter displays as a set of zeros for 1 second, then displays your normal odometer mileage.

Reply to
Mike Rosenberg

LOL! You do this a lot, do you?

- Piper

Reply to
Piper

Just once, actually, but I found it online instead of in the manual, and I saved it as a file, so it's easy to just copy and paste when someone asks.

Reply to
Mike Rosenberg

Thanks, Mike. I couldn't find it in the manual.

Reply to
Richard Warren

Neither could I, and that's why I ended up doing a Google search. And _that_ told me it's on page 104 of the 2004 manual.

Reply to
Mike Rosenberg

Followed your instructions and light is now off. It was easy. Thanks again.

Reply to
Richard Warren

The Maint Reqd light is only on North American NHW20 Prius.

At 4500 miles since last reset, the Maint Reqd light will blink at you on startup (very easy to miss seeing it). At 5000 miles since last reset, the Maint Reqd light will stay on solid.

It's just a reminder by miles that you are due for the next scheduled maintenance. It is not smart (doesn't go by time, or do any oil analysis), just a mile counter. Usually that is an oil change/tire rotation:

Should your dealer forget to reset it, or you go to an independent mechanic or DIY, you can reset the light yourself.

Page 122-123 of the US 2004 Prius Owner's Manual (Section 2-5 "Operation of Instruments and Controls: Gauges, Meters and Service Reminder Indicators", item (j) in the "Service reminder indicators and warning buzzers" section.)

page 14 of the User-Guide:

mrv