Maximum roof loading

Has anyone fitted a roof rack and/or roof box to their Prius. If so, do you know what the maximum roof loading is? I'm off on a long touring holiday on Friday and will be taking a 470 litre top box, capable of 60 Kilos (about

132 lb) but I don't want to load it above whatever Toyota says is the max. All specs I've seen for roof bar loads for the Prius say N/A - I presume this is because the Prius isn't fitted with longitudinal roof bars as standard - but side-to-side bars are available as an accessory, so I presume loads can be carried on the roof. I just can't find any info on the maximum load. Help, please!
Reply to
Chas Gill

OK - so I guess no-one does know.

I've made a few further enquiries and I've now seen the Toyota manual w.r.t. the roof rack (Toyota, that is). It says 75 Kilos (or 165lbs). If you fit a non-Toyota rack this could be less, of course, but I venture to suggest not more. Not sure I'd want that much on the roof anyway - could really upset the dynamics of the car.......

Chas

Reply to
Chas Gill