My '03

Once in a great while the car will lurch (slight jump) forward when I start it although it's in Park. How can this be?

Reply to
mark digital©

Brake switch weak or mis-adjusted?

Mine requires a lot of pressure when going into D(rive) and consequently doesn't lurch - but it is a pain to apply that much pressure. I tend to ignore it with regards to it being a problem.

B~

Reply to
B. Peg

The very moment I turn the ignition key to start the car it lurches forward. I very rarely have my foot on the brake pedal when I turn on the ignition because, heck, it's in (P)ark. Once I'm ready to put the car in motion then I step on the brake lightly, set the drive selecter to either (R)evrse or (D)rive) and away I go. This unexpected motion happens usually when the engine is cold and the car is facing a slight incline, but it happened recently after a fillup and level ground. I drove home and shut off the engine. About 10 minutes later I had another errand to run so I started the car and suddenly all my warning lights lit up. It has the new updated computer since Xmas '04 so I don't know what's going on now.

Reply to
mark digital©

Mine's an '05. It won't go into ON mode without me pressing firmly on the brake peddle hence it won't lurch. If it's in Park, it won't go into ON mode without me pressing on the brake peddle firmly at first -- which is somewhat annoying at times as it keeps me from starting faster as I have to slow down and press the peddle before it will go into ON mode.

Sure your brake peddle switch is even working? It would explain the lurch.

B~

Reply to
B. Peg

Correction, by ON I meant "D" for Drive.

B~~

Reply to
B. Peg

You know, I didn't know this about the newer models. The mornings are dark and cold here and I prefer to use my key to roll down the window, reach inside, fumble for the ignition (steering wheel kinda blocks the view) and start the car instead of getting inside and doing it. Thanks for your suggestion and I'll just have to wait a bit for the next shop visit.

mark_

Reply to
mark digital©

Our '02 also does it. "Park" seems to have a fair amount of lash, allowing the car to move a couple inches. Since I don't make a point of putting my foot on the brake when I start the car - usually do, but not always - I notice the lurch from the engine cranking.

Apparently the current model won't even start if the brake isn't on.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Must be something Toyota corrected or added with the '04-'05 models? It does slow me down a bit starting once I got used to the car. At first, I was slower than the car in the starting operation; now the opposite. I just can't get used to mashing the brake peddle down hard enough or long enough while punching the BIG button and moving the stick.

B~

Reply to
B. Peg

Same here. What was cumbersome at first is now automatic.

Reply to
Bill