My Car Is In! Last-minute Qs re prepaid maintenance

I find I haven't absorbed the details re the prepaid maintenance. I am assuming that, like the extended warranty, the dealer will try to sell this at some ridiculous price. Is it at all worthwhile? What is a good price? Do I have to get it now? Does the place that offers the $985 extended warranty also offer this at the best price? Do local dealers ever match these prices?

Reply to
Jean B.

Sometimes they do. You have 36,000 miles to make this decision, Jean. Take your time.

Reply to
Ingenuous

Lets see, my 5k maintenance just cost me about $20. How much cheaper could they be? Also, do you know where u will be living for the entire maintenance contract? Unless it's somehow transferrable or has a cancellation policy it'd be potentially risky.

my .02

Russ (Congrats btw :-))

I have never bought the pre-paid, but I will buy the extended warrantly from that dealer in W Ma before the 36k hits.

Reply to
RRG

Yes, I do for the extended warranty--and I'm glad to have this knowledge, so I am not talked into an over-priced deal. I was asking about the maintenance program though.

Reply to
Jean B.

Yes, I don't know that, and it IS relevant, since I plan to get this serviced someplace other than where I am purchasing it.

Thanks! I saw its twin in a parking lot yesterday and had to park next to it and speak to its owner, who seemed to love it.

Yes, I plan to do that too. Nice to have that option.

Reply to
Jean B.

As long as we're on the topic Jean, be certain to check the oil before you drive away from wherever you have it serviced. My dealer overfilled mine and I understand this is a common problem because the Prius holds a fractional amount of oil, something they aren't accustomed to. The jerk who overfilled mine asked, after removing at least 1/2 quart, "how much oil did you want" and I replied "bring it to the full line". Good grief. I had also asked them to fill the front tires to 42 psi and the back tires to 40 psi after the rotation. They did get that right but I'm still going to check the tires every time they rotate.

Reply to
Ingenuous

Thanks for the reminders. Now what are the ramifications of the oil being over that line? Why the .9 anyway? That just begs for trouble!!!!

Reply to
Jean B.

I don't know why Toyota came up a half quart short on capacity, perhaps there wasn't room for a larger oil pan. Most engine manuals contain dire warnings about overfilling with oil because it causes excessive crankcase pressure which probably blows seals. One of the mechanics who posts here can probably give you a better answer.

Reply to
Ingenuous

Well, I'm going to call the right now to tell them to make sure the oil is not past the max line! And to request that the make sure the tires are filled as described. Thanks!

Reply to
Jean B.