New Prius (2009) sound system - like JBL / upgradeable by audio shop?

Hi - I just ordered a 2009 Prius with the standard sound system. I wasn't really happy with the sound when I test drove the Prius and I've subsequently learned that it imay be hard for audio shops to upgrade the system because the radio is built in and doesn't have much power to drive better speakers. Has anyone upgraded to the JBL speakers? If so, what is your opinion of them. Or has anyone had a better sound system installed by an audio shop?

Reply to
MJ

I just performed the "build your own Prius" at

and they are still configuring the 2008.

Reply to
Was Istoben

The 7-speaker JBL system in my 2000 Avalon XLS sounded better than the

9-speaker JBL in my 2007 Prius.

It might help if the Prius 9-speaker had a subwoofer. The factory subwoofer in the Avalon was separately powered, it was turned off when the engine was off, even if the ignition was on. So in that way I was aware of its positive contribution to sound quality.

Reply to
David Kelly

I have the upgraded JBL system in my 2006, and am quite satisfied with it--that is, after I disconnected the front center speaker. I am also happy with the power level--sometimes I have to reduce bass in order for it to be comfortable. The 3-band EQ with a mid-range control is better than than the usual bass/treble adjustments, giving me the ability to more precisely tailor the sound to my liking.

While I do have a finely tuned, detail-oriented ear and am able to critically judge audio fidelity, I am not one of these fussy audiophiles that are never satisfied with the equipment they have. If you are one of those, chances are you won't like the JBL system since it is not the most outrageously overpriced system you can buy. However, if you recognize the limitations and challenges associated with providing high fidelity in a small chamber that is surrounded by glass and has all sorts of crazy reflecting surfaces and odd acoustic properties, and you are able to make the appropriate trade-offs in your expectations, then I would say that the JBL system is quite satisfactory for the critical listener. When I compare my Prius audio with the audio in our Sienna, the Prius system is worlds better--no competition.

- Doug

Reply to
DougSlug

The only ways anyone has successfully stolen a Prius have been either to steal (or otherwise get hold of) a fob for that car or to put it on a flat-bed truck and haul it away.

There's another way to steal one; if the driver leaves the car running and takes the fob with him, someone could drive off with it, but once they shut the car down, they won't be able to start it up again, so I don't consider that to be a successful theft.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

I've found the relative lack of soundproofing to be a bigger problem than the audio system. Play something at a moderate level (volume below

20) and you can clearly her it from some distance away outside the car. External noises are similarly easily transmitted into the Prius. No matter how good an audio system you put into the car, the intrusion of external noise will make any improvements of minimal help.
Reply to
Scott