Old Gas

My 2001 get's very low use. A single fill-up of regular goes for a number of months. Does this pose a problem with respect to using the gas that's been stored in the tamk for this extende time?

Reply to
casagiannoni

It can.

You want the tank full, to prevent moisture, but you want the gas fresh. You can't win.

When you fill up, use a name brand fuel stabilizer.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

I don't think *months* is that big of a deal. Years would be a different story but cars sitting for months is pretty common. I have a car like this (not a Prius though, that one gets regular use ) that my kids occasionally use when they are back from college. It's very lightly used only during holidays and college breaks and sits idle for months between the uses - has been for the last

4 years, and no issues with starting it right away when they need it again.

Your location should be a factor though, is it a humid area? Is it sitting outside? Other than that I don't think several months between the uses is that big of a deal.

Reply to
passerby

The gas, lines and tank would still benefit from fuel stabilizer during those months layoff.

Reply to
News