OT: Drop dead, GM

The precedent has been set and this has gotten beyond ridiculous. What's next? Pizza Hut? I have always made a point of buying American, but no more. Next time I'm in the market, I'll buy anything but. Can you tell I'm mad? Where do you draw the line?

Reply to
luisavt

Just out of curiosity, what are you referring to?? The plant closures in Janesville, WI and other cities? A bailout of GM by the federal government?

FWIW, if you're referring to a bailout, I had absolutely no idea that GM was in the government's sights when it came to doling out bailout monies. I thought the government was only interested in bailing out the banks and other financial institutions.

IF in fact the government DOES want to bailout GM, I hope they do it sooner rather than later. The GM plants in Janesville, WI, and Moraine, OH are slated to close December 23. I can just imagine the conversation right now on the last day of plant operations...

GM: "Merry Christmas!" GM Employees: "Go to hell!"

:-(

The federal government needs to do something to help slumping businesses, IMNSHO. Yes, I disagree with using federal taxpayer money to bail out business, but what else is supposed to be done? Businesses can't just fold willy-nilly. The unemployment rate will just skyrocket, and it will all lead to a domino effect. Business after business after business will go belly up, and more and more people will be unemployed unless the federal government does something to get us out of this mess that George W. Bush and his cronies created.

After all, Bush's obsession over his asinine war in Iraq is half the reason the economy is in such crap-ass shape to begin with.

--- Cory

Reply to
Cory

Reply to
Aisling Willow Grey

I care very much if GM fails - I have GM vehicles and if GM fails, then there go my warranties, parts, mechanics, etc. I don't want to see all of the GM (or Ford or Chrysler) people out of work and needing assistance. Americans should support American industries!

Reply to
Ryka

Reply to
Aisling Willow Grey

YAY, Aisling! I love my Prius!

Ruby (48.7 mpg)

Reply to
Ruby Vee

Reply to
Aisling Willow Grey

I got mine last September, so I've had it over a year. I coast a lot, but live at the bottom of a hill, and have to go UP the hill (without getting a chance to achieve any momentum )to get anywhere, so I rarely achieve the 50 mpg that one of my co-workers does!

Ruby (base model, Driftwood, options package #2 -- because it would have taken months to get a red one, and the transmission was falling out of my Subaru!)

Reply to
Ruby Vee

I've had as large as 58.3 mpg on a 183 mile trip. 56.1 mpg on the return home. But alas, new tires dropped it by 5mpg. Be sure you get low resistance tires or yours too will drop. I'd buy an american car too if they gave me what Toyota does. I didn't buy it to save money, but to minimize standing in long lines in the future. You read it here.

Mr Ed

Mr Ed

Reply to
Aisling Willow Grey

I subscribe to "alt.autos.toyota.prius". Many months ago they listed 4 different low resistant tires. I took the list to my Toyota dealer and asked for a set of them. So trusting my local Toyota dealer I believed them when they said we have one just as good. A Bridgeport. Oop's, big mistake. My mileage on my "fine tuned" Prius dropped by a consistant 10mpg. A month later I went back. They changed them to Goodyears. Now I'm averaging only

5mpg less. That may be because there is a much thicker tread on replacement tires as compared to original equipment. Unfortunately I had thrown away the list or I could help you. I too drive mostly short, stop and go, city driving and in the winter I'm lucky to get ~40mpg as the engine choke rarely gets open. Over all summer driving gets about the 46mpg that Consumers Reports estimate.

I did add a $99.00 kit that is standard on European Prius's. If I pull the Cruise Control to me for 3 seconds, I can drive under 35mph on Battery only for about a mile if my battery is charged. I forget where I bought it but if you google Prius I'm sure you can find places that sell it. It's kinda neat for downtown driving. They also have a kit where, get this, you can add video to your panel display. I also added a hitch for my bike rack. No modifications needed and it didn't seem to affect mpg. J.C. Whitney has them.

Mr Ed

Mr Ed

Reply to
Warrior

The bike and rack causes drag. But the hitch mount didn't seem to exhibit noticeable drag.

Reply to
Mr Ed

...and it all depends upon how fast you are going as well.

Reply to
Tomes