Prius allergic to snow and ice?

You all seem to be from the US on this group. Sorry to interfere, I am European! Nobody is perfect

Reply to
Batisse

I have a previous generation, but I've heard of the problem you describe. Our 2002 works just fine - we push the pedal down a bit and the car goes slowly, but I guess the 2004s and later stop trying when the wheels slip. IIRC pushing the accelerator all the way down will make it keep trying. And it is true it can't be cancelled - it is to protect the hybrid system.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Drive your gas guzzler on those icy days. Julius

Reply to
szaki

szaki schrieb:

You ignores, that with a conventional car you are able to use the coupler carefully. But the Prius with its electro engine with 400 nm torque from 0 rpm has no chance to reduce skating on slippery ground without assistance of the computer. I hope, I will not be surprised, when I will climb up the hill from Grenoble (where I am living) to Chamrousse (where I am skiing) this winter.

Reply to
Reiner Schischke

Yet my husband drove his car on a particularly cold day, when many of the roads here in MA were coated in black ice. While all the other regular cars were slipping and sliding all over the place he was able to travel at a reasonable speed, maneuver ably, and had nary a problem up hills or winding roads in his 2004 Prius.

Russ

Reply to
RRG

I didn't have this problem last February here in Minnesota. In fact, my Prius was more stable with 5" of new snow over compacted snow than was my

4WD Explorer. I credit the VSC, low profile and weight distribution for this. As with ABS, one has to learn to use their VSC. Tell him to take it out on a frozen lake next January and learn how to drive with it.
Reply to
Ingenuous

RRG schrieb:

Thank you for the info. I have my Prius since 2 month now and never used under slippery conditions. So therefore I asked myself, how the Prius would challenge slippery conditions. I am living in the middle of the Alpes, near the Mont Blanc. And have to cross some precipitous pass roads.

Reply to
Reiner Schischke

That is one reason why I am keeping my other car--at least for now. How much can one overcome such problems by putting on serious snow tires?

Reply to
Jean B.

We both really like the VSC feature. I admit it took a few times to get used to how it feels when it 'kicks in' but, as I've said, we've had no problems over the past 2 New England winters.

Russ

Reply to
RRG

Funny, I had the same experience. The extremely smooth power transfer means zero lurching and 100% traction in minor snow storms. I was able to travel down the freeway (through minor hills) with an inch or two of snow and no signs of lost traction at any time. That was with stock tires and no chains. I was able to visit the ski resort, and climb the hills in freezing weather with supreme confidence. That's at about

7,000 feet altitude.

Maybe the driver having problems is doing something funny?

Reply to
dbs__usenet

Our Prius also does well, with a few caveats: Deep snow is a problem, as are berms left by snow plows. About like other small cars in that respect. Slush that litters the road with stuck cars will give the Prius trouble, also. Similarly, nothing does well on glare ice and slick hills. I definitely agree about the controllability. The lack of shift lurches, combined with the excellent throttle control at the lower ranges make a real difference. We have a 2002, which (I hear) reacts differently than the current model when the wheels slip. Except on difficult slopes we "just drive it" and press the accelerator like we would on wet streets. The hybrid system takes care of the rest.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

In deep snow, I got stuck on two occasions last winter with my Prius in MN, definitely due to the traction control. We're talking about unplowed parking lots where the snow has been pushed around a little bit by other cars, and my car was parked. Had to get out and dig out by hand. If I hadn't had Trac., I could've rocked it out in both cases, but instead the car wouldn't move at all. I'll be instalilng Blizzaks this winter. I believe that would give me enough traction to be able to handle that type of situation. In all other winter situations (starting up on an icy road, etc.) the traction control was a help, not a hindrance.

rpm

Reply to
onerpm

Dunno whom this is in response to, but I am considering whether I need to get Blizzaks.... For now, I'll keep my other car until I figure out whether or not the Prius suits all my needs. I figure I'll at least be boosting my average MPG a lot--and also cutting down on my emissions.... That has to be good.

Reply to
Jean B.

Did you use that handy towing eye-bolt? Just wondering how easy it is to R & R the bumper plug.

Reply to
Ingenuous

? Have never removed bumper plug. I just had to dig out the snow around the tires with my hands both times. Newly fallen 6-8" Then could get enough movement from car to rock it out. Ability to turn off the trac. control would have allowed me to rock it out without having to dig. Blizzaks always worth it...have them on other cars and love 'em. Figure they don't really cost anything (other than the cost of the steel wheels), because while they're on, I'm not wearing down my OEM tires. (Also, once OEMs are worn out, can go to a dedicated summer-only tire.) rpm

Reply to
onerpm

Considering it's ground clearance and weight, with 8" of heavy snow Blizzaks (or whatever) probably wouldn't be touching the ground anyway, and if so, probably without enough weight to gain traction. Hell, I've been stuck like that in my 4WD Explorer. Best to just stay off the road.

Reply to
Ingenuous