Prius and Satellite Radio

After reading many customer reviews at Edmunds.com, I'm confused.

Is satellite radio (preferbly Sirius) an option on the 2005 Prius, or isn't it? (Some reviews say no, while others say that they got their car with Sirius installed.)

If not, can it be installed after-market, and is there a model radio that will interface smoothly with the Prius's stereo system? (ie - can be displayed on the Prius's Info screen).

Thanks!

Reply to
BRH

Didn't see it on any I looked at. Their top of the line package #6 didn't have it. If it isn't part of the JBL audio package and som add on, there might be some problems with the interface with regards to the auto-mute with the GPS or Bluetooth phone.

If I do go to a Sirus, I'd probably go the portable unit with the radio transmitter that allows you to use it with the car's FM radio or perhaps the cassette deck interface that is in package #6.

However, those that hang around in the audio forums haven't been that impressed with the audio quality of Sirus and moreseo as more stations go online. Bandwidth is showing and the audio bit rate seems to have fallen (maybe like a 128 ripped Mp3). It isn't audiophile quality as many think.

B~

Reply to
B. Peg

I have both the XM unit directly wired into the display screen and a Sirius starbase unit mounted under the radio across the front of the former cubby hole. It is a direct fm modulater connection (no static)

I find the XM to have a far stronger signal with less drop offs. The Sirius will sometimes lose the signal around town. The sound quality of the direct connection is much better than the fm modulated one. The FM modulated connection has a more tinny flat sound than the direct connection.

I purchased Sirius after the XM to give me some more options when I sit in traffic. After listening to Howard Stern this week when I had a loaner car, I like Opie and Anthony better. The music selections are a little better on Sirius (early and later classic rock). XM lumps them together.

If you want a directly wired Sirius or XM unit, try looking at www/PriusXM.com (he has the Sirius units now, Coastaletech is still working on the Sirius units, but has XM) I have the Coastaletech XM

Reply to
Jonathan Kaplan

It is not a Toyota option, but there are third-party add-ons.

Yes, and yes.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

XM is available for the 05 Prius.

Sirius is not to my knowledge.

Reply to
frontmed

Both units integrate with the MFD on the 2G Prius. Dunno about the classic. I haven't tried either one yet, but I'm planning on getting the Sirius unit before the end of the year.

Reply to
Michael Locatelli

Technically, it is a Toyota option, but only for the Solara. It will work with the Prius and some dealers will do the install if you don't want to do it yourself.

Bill '04 Prius, BC package with XM

Reply to
Bill

Thanks for those links.

Any idea on whether installation of one of these units impacts Toyota's overall warranty on the car?

Reply to
BRH

I would be really surprised if they did. 1) they're the same units that Toyota uses in their cars (Prius or otherwise) and 2) car stereo installers wouldn't be in business for very long if installing a new stereo voided the warranty.

Reply to
Michael Locatelli

Any idea of whether that needs to be done at time of purchase or can be done later?

Reply to
Jean B.

Later; most dealers won't do it at all.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

Thanks. I am debating about this. The dealership where I am getting my Prius has brochures for satellite radio, so I assumed that meant they installed them--but maybe not in a Prius. I'd rather wait a bit anyway to see whether I can stand the new lineup on my normal radio station.

Reply to
Jean B.

I know they sell a satellite radio setup for the Scion, but I don't know of any official one from Toyota for the Prius.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner