Prius in Snow

Well, the AWD Passat, which has just been revived was dead this morning, so I drove the Prius. I must say it did just as well as the Passat would have, and perhaps better. I am most pleased, because this was one of my bigger worries about the Prius.

Reply to
Jean B.

I forgot to mention having figured out why I slid into that snow bank. The grader had his blade set wrong, sloping the road down toward the outside of the curve. Subsequently, a couple of other cars slid into the same spot. Good thing this happened on 5 mph curve and not a 55 mph curve.

Reply to
Bill

That IS a good thing--although it's too bad it happened at all. How has the Prius been in the snow since then, assuming it has snowed more there?

Reply to
Jean B.

It works as well as any other car I've driven with one exception. I returned from an overnight trip today to find 6" of snow on the road leading to my home and in my driveway. Lucky it was downhill the whole way as I didn't have enough ground clearance in a few spots. Had to drive my Explorer to a meeting tonight but by the time I returned the road had been plowed.

The highway was terrible but it was my only alternative because the Interstate route was closed. That last fact should give you an idea of how bad the road conditions were. Traffic was moving at 35 - 40 mph where the speed limit is 65. The light Prius shifts from side-to-side when the furrows change and that tends to make my palms sweat.

Bill

Reply to
Bill