Prius Prepaid Maintenance Contract vs Pay-As-You-Go

I'm confused. I'm trying to get a sense of what the cost of maintenance covered by a Toyota Prius Prepaid Maintenance Contract would be if I purchased it "as required" rather than "prepaid."

Has anyone seen such an analysis anywhere?

I find I drive 12,000 - 13,000 per year.

Thanks,

baumgrenze

Reply to
baumgrenze

Beware. I mused about that at my dealership, and they said "oh, that would only cover $30 per visit"--as in, *I* would have to pay the rest. That doesn't seem right to me, and I have intended to look into it.

Reply to
Jean B.

If it is worth it to you to purchase the prepaid maintenance plan, depends: if you already have a roadside assistance plan, need reminders for services or cannot budget ahead of time for regular services, the cost of the plan that you manage to haggle down the price upon, if the plan is good at every Toyota dealer or just your local one, and what the standard service (mainly labor) rates are in your area.

How low can you negotiate the Toyota Prepaid Maintenance plan? (try calling several dealer's finance departments for rates, and/or try some of the known Prius-friendly discounted extended warranty (Toyota Extra Care) dealers and ask what they'll offer the Prepaid Maintenance plan for (hint: see vfaq.net )).

What are the dealer labor rates in your area? (Call around to your local dealers, and ask them what the going rates are for an oil change/ tire rotation, a 5,000 mile Prius service (for comparison of added charges), a 15,000 mile Prius service, a 30,000 mile Prius service, etc. and do the sums.)

Will your local dealer perform only the required services as in the Prius Passport to Performance (scheduled maintenance guide, viewable at

), or will they like to tackon extra unneeded servicing (at your added cost)? (For an example of how different dealers can offer the same services for varied pricing or bundle other services into their X-mile services: when I called 4 local metrowest Boston MA dealers for pricing for my 2001 Prius' 60,000 mile service and a 4-wheel tire alignment back in Nov. 2005, the results were: dealer 1: $395, though they suggest an additional tire balance ($45) and a 4-wheel alignment ($79.95) at that service, if you choose to do so. dealer 2: $499.95 which includes a 4 wheel alignment (subtract $79.95 if you don't need the alignment) dealer 3: $480, and an additional $69.95 for a 4-wheel alignment dealer 4: $465, and an additional $98 (!) for a 4-wheel alignment )

Don't forget that the Toyota Prepaid Maintenance plan also includes

24hr Roadside Assistance (short towing distance, flat tire changeouts, fuel delivery, lockout service, etc.), so factor that into your pay as you go calculations as well. (Do you already have roadside assistance through an auto club or your insurance that would be duplicated by the Prepaid Maintenance plan?)

You can view the MSRP of the Toyota plans (so don't pay any more than that! note that you can haggle for something much less than MSRP) and view more info on them at:

*IF* you are going for one of the offered plans, I'd suggest the Premium plan over the Classic plan, as the Premium plan includes the tire rotations at each service (which you'd have to pay for under the Classic Plan), and the Premium plan also includes the 15,000 mile- increments larger services.
Reply to
mrv