Prius Still on top

  1. Toyota Prius Click to enlarge picture

The Toyota Prius is still the reigning mileage champ in the U.S., earning an EPA rating of 45 mpg highway, 48 mpg city for 2009.

The Toyota Prius is the reigning champion for fuel efficiency in the U.S., and has been since 2007, when the Honda Insight hybrid was put to sleep. The Environmental Protection Agency rates the 2009 model at 45 mpg highway, 48 mpg city. This kind of efficiency is achieved by pairing up a gasoline engine with an electric motor and a large storage battery. In addition to saving you lots of dough at the pumps, the Prius ranks as one of Consumer Reports' most reliable cars. In fact, three of the six most reliable family cars are hybrids (the Prius, Camry and Nissan Altima).

Reply to
Fred Seaver

Yep great cars :)

Reply to
Lu R

Unless they have changed their rating system since last year, these figures are no more than laboratory estimates, not worth a pinch.

Did we expect you to say anything else?

Reply to
pierre

No, the EPA ratings are not 'estimates' but 'measurements' under a set of controlled conditions. The conditions for the EPA ratings were recently changed to more-closely reflect current driving practices. The actual mileage that you obtain may be significantly different, of course, due to variations in the way everyone drives and the environment they operate in...and that will always be the case. The EPA ratings offer a very good way to objectively compare fuel economy between different vehicles.

Reply to
David T. Johnson

Maybe valid as a comparison tool, but do they represent figures that are actually realisable on the road?

Reply to
rebel

I easily beat the current figures and easily matched the old figures.

Reply to
Was Istoben

I also can easily match the numbers during warm weather, if I drive carefully and avoid short trips.

This applies to both my Prius and previous cars.

Reply to
Al Sherman

Would you people take your comments over to "amercians.who.get.excited.about.cars.powered.by.blender.motors" please?

No one down here is interested in the Prius, or what you do with them.

-- Regards, Noddy.

Reply to
Noddy

Sorry, Noddy. This started as a post to alt.autos.toyota.prius.

In the first reply, Lu R added aus.cars to the distribution. It certainly appears to be inappropriate. I'll keep aus.cars so Noddy can see my reply. Please delete in future discussion.

Oh, yes. My blender motor does very well, thank you.

Reply to
Al Sherman

By remarkable coincidence, nobody up here cares what you think.

Reply to
Was Istoben

If you haven't already figured, Lu R is not playing with all the cards.

Glad you like it.

-- Regards, Noddy.

Reply to
Noddy

Now, isn't that odd?

A Yank with no idea about what goes on in the rest of the world, and doesn't care. Go figure :)

-- Regards, Noddy.

Reply to
Noddy

Well, that it has good fuel consumption was not in dispute. The issue is whether that good performance comes at too high a price.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Don't even pretend to know anything about me you rude bastard.

Reply to
Was Istoben

Here in Australia we use the name "Septic" or "Seppo" to describe Americans. It's derived from rhyming slang

"Rhyming slang is a form of slang in which a word is replaced by a rhyming word, typically the second word of a two-word phrase (so stairs becomes "apples and pears"). The second word is then often dropped entirely ("I'm going up the apples"), meaning that the association of the original word to the rhyming phrase is not obvious to the uninitiated. For example: "Sherman" for an American (Sherman tank = Yank), or "septic" for an American (septic tank = Yank)."

Seppo, for septic tank (Yank), is particularly applicable as most Yanks, like septic tanks. are full of shit and piss.

Reply to
Dyna Soar

On my word of honour I swear I couldn't care less about you or anything you do. You sound like just another typical loud-mouthed seppo.

No wonder America is the most hated country on earth.

-- Regards, Noddy.

Reply to
Noddy

48mpg isn't all that good for a current model hybrid when you consider I easily achieved that with a 1965 Austin Healey Sprite, the Sprite was a much smaller car than the Prius but its now 44yrs old so car fuel economy hasn't come a long way in all that time.

Daryl

Reply to
D Walford

Why introduce discussion of george el dumbya bush to the thread?

Reply to
News

Shut the f*ck up you racist prick.

On the side, Aussies and Americans arguing over a Japanese car...too funny.

Reply to
Lu R

Lets just add 6 airbags, AC and everything with bells and whistles the Prius has onto that Sprite of yours and see how it goes.. LMAO.

Reply to
Lu R