Prius Still on top

I see no problem except the idiot who posted the above.

Reply to
Lu R

And this is where you fall on you sword Sylvia. You decided for us all what does the same job as well? Define "job".

Reply to
Lu R

Your head has plenty of Iron in it numbskull.

Reply to
Lu R

Think c*ck-stretching. Think bragging rights at the spoon collecting championships.

Prius owners don't seem to be all that normal to me.

-- Regards, Noddy.

Reply to
Noddy

Well, it isn't quite that simple. It depends how quickly you get through your 200,000 miles.

The longer it takes, the more interest you could have earned on the $25,000 if you hadn't bought a hybrid, and the more extra petrol you could have bought with the interest.

Beyond a certain point, which I can't be bothered to work out, there is no break even point, and the non-hybrid wins forever.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Fuck....

I had genuine flashbacks of watching the Three Stooges on 1960's morning television just then :)

-- Regards, Noddy.

Reply to
Noddy

Reply to
Knobdoodle

Yes; another very good point. So there's no money-saving, no prestige, no quantifiable "green" credentials, they're slow, heavy and they look silly and owning one identifies you as a simpleton who's bad at maths..... Apart from that they're OK, right?

Reply to
Knobdoodle

That pretty much sums it up, I think.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

No she didn't, she asked you to price compare it to any other car "that does the same job as well". Their are dozens of cars that have the same passenger space, are as well equipped and are as comfortable as a Prius that can be purchased for less money.

Daryl

Reply to
D Walford

Let's not forget John Howard, the idiot's number two fan after Tony Blair. I use number two in both contexts.

Reply to
Was Istoben

Nailed it :)

-- Regards, Noddy.

Reply to
Noddy

And I would think *all* of them would yield a lower total cost over the average new car ownership period.

-- Regards, Noddy.

Reply to
Noddy

Only a person who is never in the company of others, let alone member of a family, would ask that question.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Cost is always a factor.

It's not that "I want 48mpg". It's that "I want 48mpg with the ability to carry four to five people in great comfort, with amenities like climate control and a great stereo, on a platform that won't break down and leave me stranded on a regular basis," etc, etc.

Those of you who are looking ONLY at gas mileage are fuckwits who are looking for nothing more than to cause arguments.

Of course, it was Toyota who designed the car and who is laughing all the way to the bank with the profits. You guys, on the other hand, don't contribute anything to society and couldn't invent running water after seeing a waterfall.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

A Prius is far larger than a Corolla or a Kia Rondo.

If you dispute that, that's proof that you want nothing more than to argue. If you dispute that, you show that when facts get in your way, you ignore them.

Apple to apples? The Prius is US$6000 to US$8000 more than a Corolla, for 2009 models.

But here's the trick: I don't like how SMALL the Corolla is inside. I want a BIGGER CAR. Nothing huge, but something the size of the Prius. I guess a Camry would do, even if it's a bit bigger than I need. How's this: how about I get a 4 cylinder RAV4? It meets my interior size requirements. Huh--it's the price of the Prius.

People like you who have no friends or family and can't conceive of the notion of wanting/needing to carry people with you--be happy with your Corolla. That's fine.

But those for whom the Corolla is too small, because we DO carry others with us, what do you suggest? In the Toyota line, you spend around US$23,000--on either a Prius or a RAV4.

At least with the Prius, you don't use as much petrol.

And here's a thought: you talk about what I call "Pius" owners, acting all smug as though they're saving the world, but here you go acting just like them yourself.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

It would be STUPID to buy a car that's almost double the money for the same interior space, unless the cheaper one only got three miles to the gallon or something.

US Corolla specs are here:

US Prius specs are here:

the Prius has significantly more rear seat room overall, and also has larger luggage space, than the Corolla.

I know. I've driven both. The difference shows up BIG time when you simply go and sit in them, side by side.

Edmunds shows the Corolla now selling at about US$14,000 for a 2009 model. That makes the Prius, at US$23,000, about 55% more expensive. But if you need a bigger car that seats everyone much more easily, what else are you going to do?

Fact: some families can't make do with a Corolla, and you couldn't get me into a deathtrap Kia of any kind.

Your smug attitude is WAY WORSE than the WORST Pius owner in Los Angeles.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Gee you really do throw a hissy fit like Gorden Ramsay don't you. Do you join a a smug little arrogant bastard prius group by any chance?

Reply to
Dan----

Not according to Toyota's specification it isn't, slightly larger is more accurate. Corolla L 4220mm W 1760mm H 1515mm Wheelbase 2600mm Prius L 4460mm W 1745mm H 1490mm Wheelbase 2700mm

Check out the facts, a Prius is not "far larger" than a Corolla. Its longer but narrower and lower than a Corolla.

A bit shorter resulting in less rear leg room but the difference in the other dimensions is insignificant. The Corolla is also lighter by more than 100kg and it can tow a trailer weighing up to 1300kg, Toyota do not recommend fitting a towbar to a Prius. The Corolla may be slightly smaller but it costs less, it can seat as many and because it can have a towbar it can carry much more luggage. The Corolla still seems to be much better value no matter how you look at it.

Daryl

Reply to
D Walford

Fact: People in Australia who have large families don't buy small cars like Corolla or Prius, neither are big enough for that role. BTW I drive a Toyota Hilux dual cab 3.0lt Turbo diesel which is bigger, much more versatile as far as carrying loads and people and uses only slightly more fuel than either a Corolla or a Prius and it cost about the same as a Prius.

Daryl

Reply to
D Walford