Prius Vs Fit questions

I am looking at buying a newish car. I have been driving a 03 Mits Lancer, but because of the Milage, and lack of AC, I must sell it. Through my searching I found a Honda Fit. I loved this car and it seemed to be the perfect car. My only gripe with it was that I felt that the Fit was a little small in the back seat. I have also been told that the fit basicly has to have the Engine replaced at 180,000 miles. Other than that, I have been told that it is a great car and that it didn't need many trips to the shop.

On the other had I like the Prius. It gets great gas milage, the inside is like a spaceship, and it has plenty of room. The only thing that I worry about this is that I have heard that at 180,000 you have to put $3000 worth of batteries into it. Since it is a hybrid, I assume that it uses different parts than your typical car such as all the electric motors, CVT, and all the the electronics. Do these parts go out more often than a typical car, and are they going to be more expensive?

Like I said, I have looked a lot and Know all of the details, but I just cant find any real life test results. Any help would be great. Thanks

Tyler

Reply to
computerguy903

Who the hell told you THAT?

He's wrong. Dead wrong.

Yes, it's VERY roomy in the back seat, and the driver's area is very comfy.

Who the hell told you THAT?

He's wrong. Dead wrong.

Good God, there are all sorts of wackos out there, making all sorts of claims.

The transmission (not a conventional CVT) in the Prius is WAY WAY more reliable, and simpler, than a conventional automatic transmission.

The brakes are just brakes. Electronics are heavily involved in EVERY car--it's not just a Prius thing. The electric motor/generators seem to be very reliable. There's an extra part, the inverter, which requires its own coolant. That's different...

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

I just want to add that, if driven sensibly, the regenerative braking can dramatically extend the life of the brake pads and rotors.

Reply to
Al Falfa

Oh my yes (he says, noting that he's now 67K on the brakes and the rotors are still perfectly straight when they're invoked).

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

No matter the metal-on-metal shriek...

Reply to