Radio Quality

I just got a 2004 Prius Package 7. The radio reception is terrible! Has anyone else had this problem? Jim

Reply to
Jim Michael

I just got a 2004 Prius Package 7. The radio reception is terrible! Has anyone else had this problem? Jim

It's the scanner - it goes to the signal it thinks is the right frequency butit's not. You must mannually fine-tune to that station. In other words, you should know the frequency you desire. JM

Reply to
jimmich

I assume that the dealer remembered to install the antenna before delivering it to you?

Reply to
Michelle Vadeboncoeur

Reply to
Jim Michael

Hmmm. Sounds like AFC is a little too tight. Does it do this at higher frequencies or just the low ones? If it does this at high frequencies too you might want to mention this to the dealer. You didn't put in an after-market Sirius/XM satelite radio did you? Yes they have those for Prius

but the internal antennae connection might have come loose.

Reply to
der

I find the reception in the package 9 to be outstanding. FM sensitivity is excellent, and AM sensitivity and selectivity is incredible. There is a local AM tower next to the freeway here in Santa Barbara that carries three local stations at 1290, 1340, and 1490. I can drive the freeway past the tower and listen to 1450 in Ventura about 30 miles away without a hint of interference. Every other car I've driven has failed miserably in this respect, with intermodulation and overload for about half a mile.

I have had some issues with the CD changer occasionally giving a "Check" message on some disks. Selecting a different disk and coming back to the failedone seems to fix it. I'm going to try swapping the disks around to see if it is the disk or the slot. I use the random across all disks setting which exercises the changer mechanism a lot more than listening to a single disk at a time.

Reply to
Jay Hennigan

D: I scanned, then manually tuned and preset all 6 spots with our favorite programs so scanning will not be a problem in the future as the Tucson market is pretty small...but I'm 70 and have enough problems elsewhere to worry about loose connections other than the one in my defibrillator.

The radio is perform> > Yes - I screwed in the attenna a bit but found out the real culprit was the scanner.

Reply to
Jim Michael

sensitivity

carries

miserably in

I've never heard of one tower supporting multiple AM stations, because the tower is the actual antenna; for more than one station, it means they would have to have some kind of isolation between the two transmitters to keep them from each other. This leads me to beliwve that maybe you're not really receiving that many stations on that tower. Maybe you're getting interference from more than one station at that location by intermodulation, where the station is acting like a local oscillator in your radio, and causing it to receive two at the same time.

listening to

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

connections other than the

Defibrillator? You sure you don't mean pacemaker? Only paramedics are allowed to use defibrillators! ;-)

BRRRZAP!!

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

There is a device called an AICD (automated internal cardiac defibrillator) that performs the same function as a paramedic's external defibrillator. Since it's internal, it uses much lower energy level (10-25 watts/second) versus 200-360 watts/second. Certain devices, like microwave ovens, radar guns, and theft detectors/metal detectors are notorious for disturbing the normal operation of AICD's and Pacemakers.

Kevin

"Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, the Dark Remover"" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

Reply to
Kevin Kirkeby

Reply to
news.west.cox.net

It is quite common. Typically separate transmitters and a matching circuit called a diplexer. Another technique is a singler broadband power amplifier being driven by separate exciters for the different frequencies. The matching circuits are somewhat complex as the antenna itself will be off-resonance for at least some if not all of the frequencies in use.

Jay Hennigan