Rattling Passenger Side Air Vent

In yet another manifestation of the appalling lack of quality of the interior of our 2010 Prius II, the mid-level passenger side vent is rattling like the proverbial snake while I drive. Adjusting the position of the vent changes it a bit, but doesn't eliminate it. It started with the cold weather, and has no apparent relation to blower speed or mode. Anyone else experiencing this, or know how to remove and quiet it?

Reply to
Leftie

Beware--Bob Wilson will soon be here to take you to task for DARING to say anything like that.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

As long as he doesn't tell me that Toyota did it on purpose, to stop drivers from falling asleep. That function is already taken care of by the lack of self-centering steering, and the uncomfortable seats.

Reply to
Leftie

Anyway, I know on my 07 that the dash is 99% pressure fit--it comes across with just pulling, and one screw.

More importantly, the vents are pressure fit. Poke around the net, you'll probably find that they just pull out. If yours is rattling, maybe you can pull it and brace it with a bit of folded paper.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

I'll try something like that this week. (I work weekends.)

Reply to
Leftie

I forgot to mention that the steering wheel was designed for small Japanese women. The gap at the bottom where a lot of people like me like to grip it with one hand (the other being on the middle left or right side) is too small for any normal sized hand wearing a glove, or any large hand at all. I an averaged-sized man, and it's too uncomfortable for me to use 5 months out of the year. Another Toyota design triumph.

Don't get me started on the push button controls that are too small for a gloved hand...

Reply to
Leftie

I forgot to mention that the steering wheel was designed for small Japanese women. The gap at the bottom where a lot of people like me like to grip it with one hand (the other being on the middle left or right side) is too small for any normal sized hand wearing a glove, or any large hand at all. I an averaged-sized man, and it's too uncomfortable for me to use 5 months out of the year. Another Toyota design triumph.

Don't get me started on the push button controls that are too small for a gloved hand...

Does you feel unique when you read that Prius outranks everything in customer satisfaction?

Al Falfa

Yes, but then they didn't ask me. Also, since my GF leases the car, with me helping pay, it isn't technically "my" Prius. Thankfully.

Reply to
Leftie

Yes, but then they didn't ask me. Also, since my GF leases the car, with me helping pay, it isn't technically "my" Prius. Thankfully.

These days, with women outperforming men in so many endeavors, it's not surprising she would be the creditworthy one in your partnership. Apparently she is satisfied with it, huh?

Reply to
Al Falfa

Ignoring the slur, yes, she was - until a tropical storm soaked the rugs, the dealer bailed on replacing them, and Toyota agreed with the dealer. Now she is less than "satisfied."

Reply to
Leftie

Let's see if the dealer agrees it's a warranty item.

Reply to
Leftie

The windows were tightly closed.

Reply to
Leftie

The windows were tightly closed.

Did you ever take it through the touchless car wash as I suggested? The one I use is certainly equivalent to a torrential rain.

Reply to
Al Falfa

No, but only because health problems make it difficult for either of us to crawl around on the car floor. It was a good idea, but a bit hard to implement. Still, I may try it and get someone younger to check the carpet afterwards.

Reply to
Leftie

No, but only because health problems make it difficult for either of us to crawl around on the car floor. It was a good idea, but a bit hard to implement. Still, I may try it and get someone younger to check the carpet afterwards.

My 2010, and the 2005 I used to drive, when through the local touchless wash dozens of times. Neither has leaked a drop. I've never experience a rainfall that came close to this intensity but then I've never experienced a hurricane.

Many years ago I left my car parked outside with one window down about 1/4" during a blizzard of historic significance. Imagine my surprise when I found the car half full of snow after the storm subsided.

You don't have to crawl around on the floor to take your car through a touchless car wash. Just stay behind the wheel and listen to music or read your mail. Make sure the windows are rolled up. Then, when you get to the vacuum kiosk, you can see if any water leaked in.

Reply to
Al Falfa

I wasn't talking about crawling on the floor *during* the car wash. Sheesh. How do you think I'd be checking the carpets afterwards...?

Reply to
Leftie