really bad MPG after 5000-mile checkup

I guess I need to check the oil level and the tire pressure. Any other thoughts? I am suddenly down about 10 mpg--that AFTER what I gather is a normal wintertime drop in MPG.

Reply to
Jean B.

A recent post (here? in the Yahoo Prius group?) with the same complaint turned out to an over-tight parking brake cable! An astute reply suggested applying the parking brake as firmly as possible a half dozen times to work a little "breathing room" into the parking brake, and it worked.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Do they fiddle with that cable at the 5000-mile checkup?

Reply to
Jean B.

It isn't really part of the schedule, but it could be part of a dealer policy to check over simple areas that could be overlooked when the car is delivered - which is a good thing. Rotating the wheels is part of the 5K service, so it is plausible.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

They're not supposed to, but it's not impossible. Low tire pressure is much more likely. They all fiddle with the tires unless you warn them sternly not to.

Reply to
richard schumacher

Thanks. I did check the oil, which was okay. Next up: tires. (I am discounting the fact that it is winter, because our weather is not as cold as it was before my appt--and I was already aware of a drop in MPG because of that.)

Reply to
Jean B.

That's what my dealer did at the 5K. They let out around 10 psi form the normal 40-41 psi I carry. They also changed my next service to 8000 miles so I'm guessing the didn't use synthetic oil either. This 8000 mile change is really going to mess up my dash's 5K "Service Needed" (?) lamp which will now be out of sync with the dealer's service intervals. Next time it comes on will be 10K but with their 8K service and then the subsequent lamp at 11K, it really will be annoying.

B~

Reply to
B. Peg

Gee! You should be executed for being a major polluter! JS

Reply to
Protagonist

Esp. relative to a Hummer or something, right?

Well, I did that brake thing--stepping hard on the emergency brake 10 times, and my MPGs are back up. BUT it is also warmer out, so it is not clear to me how much of the upswing is because of that. I'll see soon enough. Still haven't checked the tire pressure. Why do they do these things? How annoying!

Reply to
Jean B.

That WILL be annoying. I got tired of seeing that Service Needed (or was it Maintenance Required?) light. It would be nice if you could just hit a button and tell it to go away. I also wouldn't be too amused if I had to go back every 3000 miles.

Reply to
Jean B.

The Maint Reqd light on the 2004-current US Prius will blink at 4500 miles since last reset, and stay on solid at 5000 miles since last reset. It is just there to remind you to have your vehicle serviced (oil/filter change and tire rotation). It isn't telling you that anything is wrong with your car.

If your dealer forgets to reset it (my dealer prints a reminder on the work order for the tech to reset it), or if you go to an independent mechanic or DIY, the instructions (it's a sequence of button presses) are available:

Page 122-123 of the US 2004 Prius Owner's Manual (Section 2-5 "Operation of Instruments and Controls: Gauges, Meters and Service Reminder Indicators", item (j) in the "Service reminder indicators and warning buzzers" section.

page 14 of the User-Guide:

mrv

(o:

Maybe your emergency breaks are dragging, need adjustment?! My old Toyota had that, but it had drum breaks on the rear! Disk breaks are all ways in contact. JS

Reply to
Protagonist

Don't go back at 8K miles. Go back when the Prius maintenance guide says to go, whether by mileage or by time, and let the dealer worry about his own boat payments.

Reply to
richard schumacher

Whatever it was, it was not the case before my 5000-mile maintenance. :-( I await some cold weather, so I can see where I stand on MPG now--trying not to compare apples and oranges.

Reply to
Jean B.

At least for the Classic (pre-2004) Prius the North American versions have rear drums. IIRC the European version had 4-wheel discs, and the current generation may also. If the e-brake is overtightened it will drag the discs, too.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Yes, drum breaks has to be adjusted with the proper clearance to the drum, otherwise can drag and overheat. Disc breaks always drag or in contact with the disc slightly. I guess if the break drags, can result poor mil/gal. Julius

Reply to
Protagonist