Rear brake replacement on '04

Later today I'll pull the rear brakes apart, turn the drums and install new shoes.

That's despite the fact that the existing shoes, at 55k miles, look fine. My problem has been a last-second grabbing by those brakes, and after repeatedly cleaning and scouring all I get is a few days of relief.

Any thoughts on that brake job?

Reply to
Hank

"Hank" ..

I am thinking that this is an inexpensive and easy approach, especially being that you do the cutting yourself (you said that right?), and then you will know for sure that those will not be the cause if it returns. I am thinking that this ought to do it though. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

It was trivial - why did I worry? There is nothing "special" about rear brakes in the Prius - it's like every other car I've seen.

The binding is gone, the brakes are smooth and should improve with a few miles as they seat.

Reply to
Hank

I pulled the rear wheels and sanded both shoes and drum, and the problem would be gone for a few days. I also checked lubrication and brake adjustment - all correct.

Finally, I beveled the ends of the linings on the shoes

- that ended the problem for a week or more. Convinced that it was a problem with the shoes, I installed new ones ($20 at NAPA). Problem GONE.

On the pulls, there was plenty of lining. However, I compared the old ones to the new ones, and without doubt the originals were harder, more brittle. Whether that was part of the problem, I don't know.

At the worst it was not a big deal, but annoying.

mark b wrote:

Reply to
Hank