Serpentine belt on Prius classic?

Hi. Can anyone tell me if the 2002 / Gen1 Prius has a serpentine belt on the engine? I'd normally just go out and look myself, but I'm in Texas and the car is with my daughter in upstate NY, so its a bit tough to open the hood from here. ;-) My daughter has not done much in the way of servicing the car (college student, do I need to say more?) and my wife has got in in her head that the serpentine belt needs to be replaced. The car does have about 110K miles on it, and has never had any problems since the day I bought it new. Other than oil changes, I've had servicing done by Toyota, and I can't remember them ever changing a belt or for that matter, that it even has one. My wife called a local Toyota dealer and they told her it needed to be changed at 60K miles or we "could do some damage", but I have to say that unless you speak to a Prius tech, they almost always assume its just like every other Toyota, and it obviously is not.

Thanks!

Reply to
PriusGeek

Yes.

Firestone reported "cracks" so I carry a spare. So far, no problem and I haven't heard of any failures, yet. However, wives often have a different set of values on such things.

The holidays are coming soon. Get the belt, show the wife and let the daughter know she and the car are expected for Thanksgiving.

There is a practice of replacing all rubber parts after a given time period, 8-10 years. In particular, the radiator and heater hoses but that might also include the belt.

Reply to
Bob & Holly Wilson