South African PRIUS launch

Hi to the group, I have followed your group avidly since January this year. Just to let you all know that Toyota has just launched the Prius here - with about 12 units a month coming into the country and not sold but leased for 48 months. Also it is a condition that any damage caused by driving on unpaved roads is not covered by the 48 month 120000 km [75000 mile] full maintenance warranty. [Fuel & tyres not covered] South Africa has many rural unpaved roads. The Lexus section of the dealership handles Prius clients. Also only 12 dealers countrywide are authorised to handle. Toyota is the major auto player in this country. We have a total population of around 45 million people.

I had mine delivered last week - Bronze mica metallic colour. Possibly the first officially registered in the country. Details are different to USA models, and no option packages are offered. We have the EV switch fitted, and 7 spoke alloy wheels with an overlay. Only done 500 km so will report on fuel consumption etc. In Johannesburg we are at nearly 6000 feet altitude, and it goes really well. I gave up a 2001 Audi A4 1.8T Multitronic to have the Prius, and find while different - I am very pleased with the Prius.

Peter F

Reply to
Peter Fleming

[...]

Hi Peter,

What does gas where you live? Here in the north-central U. S. it is running around $2.00 USD for 87 octane. Is it as fun to drive as was your Audi?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Just to note, there is a local group that was started:

mrv

Thanks I am in the process of joining. Peter

Reply to
Peter Fleming