Thinking of new Prius, which model?

My venerable 2005 model year Prius, in service since December 2004, is now at about 105K miles. Been thinking about getting a new one. However, with the new models now out there (Prius c, Prius V) in addition to the regular Prius, it's a question of what's right for me.

I want maximum MPG with minimum costs, but I like my creature comforts in there as well (NAV a must, BlueTooth nice).

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

--LG

Reply to
Lawrence Greenwald

Why? Is something wrong with your current car?

No brainer: standard Prius all the way--it's the perfect combination of size and fuel economy. Except, you couldn't pay me to take a current Prius. The dashboard/center console thing is ALL wrong compared to my

  1. (Cue bobblehead and his smugness...)

Nav? Stick a Garmin on the dash, and you're way ahead compared to paying Toyota for their ugly system. That same Garmin can also have bluetooth.

Keep your perfectly running car, tweak it as necessary, and put the money towards a cruise or something.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Actually, nothing really wrong with it. After 7+ years of ownership, I was thinking about a newer model.

--LG

Reply to
Lawrence Greenwald

I ended up test driving a prius, a prius V and the prius C. I bought the prius C, although I think I was motivated by the lower cost of the C. The C is a smaller car with less HP. To a large degree, I relied bought by the numbers generated by intellichoice cost comparisons. I bought the prius c in the three trim level. Sounds like you would need that trim level to get what you want. Note the level four trim level gets larger wheels with a smaller turning radius. (and stiffer suspension). I tend to keep cars a long time and who knows what fuel prices will be 7 years from now.

It's interesting to note the prius C has better mileage in the city than it does on the highway (interstate cruising). For the Connecticut two lane roads that I often drive in the range of 35 to 50 miles an hour, the city mileage numbers seem to apply based on my own experience.

I do question the seating comfort of the Prius C. I thought my Nissan Sentra had more comfortable seating. A friend who often is a passenger thinks the Prius C has better comfort than the 99 Nissan Sentra.

It's often a tough call as to when to get rid of cars. My Nissan Sentra was still operating fine with 230K miles on it. The engine had plenty of power, still sounded good and the original clutch was still operating. But it had laundry list of small things that needed attention. It needed EGR valve, knock sensor, an EVAP problem to be sorted out, tie rod ends, ball joints, a power steering leak, new battery, body rust through, gasket leaks, and other miscellaneous undiagnosed noises. Cost of repair would have greatly exceeded the value of the car.

Danielle

Reply to
DanielleOM

Any reason you chose not to test the NewGen Prius (non-c/v)?

Reply to
News

I thought I had test driven all of the latest except for the plug in. I may have incorrectly referenced c/v earlier in the thread. There is certainly a lot of detail from a technical perspective that I am not aware of. With my current situation it would be difficult to plan for a plug in. I really do not know where I will be 6 months from now. Dealer told me the state takes a while to get the title mailed.

Danielle

Reply to
DanielleOM