Tire wear on 2001 Prius

Hi group,

I own a 2001 Prius and I've been totally happy with it (although I'm envious of 04 owners!). My only disappointment has been with the rate of wear and tear on the tires. The car has about 40,000 miles on it, and I've had to replace all four tires twice. When I asked the service guy about this last week, he said that this was typical for the Prius, and said it's because they have to keep the tires softer than normal for fuel efficiency. This doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but I'm no expert.

I'm curious whether other Prius owners have had similar experiences, and whether anyone has suggestions on how to avoid coughing up $400 every 20,000 miles for new tires. It seems like this takes a bit of a bite out of the fuel economy advantage of the Prius.

Thanks for any feedback,

Mike

Reply to
joneses7

I'm one of the 2004 owners you envy, but this doesn't make any sense to me, either. I've always heard that the higher the pressure the better the fuel efficiency, at the tradeoff of a harder ride. Meanwhile, if I recall correctly, my owners manual calls for 35 PSI for the front tires,

32 PSI for the rear, and that is distinctly _not_ soft.
Reply to
Mike Rosenberg

What you're describing is unusually rapid wear. Questions to be asked of an owner experiencing such wear would be:

Are you maintaining the recommended tire pressure? Another message mentions

32 rear and 35 front p.s.i. Personally, I keep it simple and run 35 all-around.

Are you rotating and balancing your tires at 5000 miles with your oil service? Although many cars don't need that frequent an interval for rotation, the Prius is notoriously heavy in the ass (J-Lo effect from all the batteries, no doubt.)

Finally, are you an extreme driver? Do you rapidly accelerate, decelerate, high-g turns, etc? Do you haul alot of excess weight? Five heavy passengers? Bunch of cargo?

As a last resort, try going to another tire dealer and see what they have in catalog for high-efficiency tires in that size. Your dealership may be selling you a softer compound tire. If you look at the sidewall you'll see a wear rating (three digit number.) I've seen dealership tires with 360 wear ratings (my Chrysler Concorde comes to mind.) Wear ratings can roughly be translated to miles by multiplying the number by 100. A 600 rating is a good long-life tire.

Reply to
Kevin Kirkeby

Prius weight distribution, F/R 59.2/40.8

Reply to
Bill

I stand corrected. Instead of being the J-Lo effect, it's the Dolly Parton effect!

Kevin Kirkeby

US 2001-2003 OEM Prius tire: Bridgestone Potenza RE92 XL (Extra Load) P175/65 R14

84S Treadwear 160 Temperature A Traction A 50psi max. cold pressure

US/Canada 2004-? OEM Prius tire: Goodyear Integrity (Standard Load) P185/65 R15

86S Treadwear 460 Traction A Temperature B 44psi max. cold pressure

note the low 160 treadwear rating on the 2001-2003 "Classic" Prius tires. Although Bridgestone warrantees them for 40,000 miles, most owners seem to get about 20,000 miles out of them, some up to 40,000 miles, some as low as 5,000 miles. So, your 20,000 miles on a set is about average.

First thing to remember is to keep an eye on tire pressure. Toyota recommends 35psi front, 33psi rear. However, many Classic owners have experienced rapid edge wear, leading them to up their tire pressure. Anything up to the max cold pressure on the sidewall is fine, but the common choice seems to be around 42/40 or 40/38 or thereabouts.

Remember to keep the +2psi bias on the front tires. I tried going to

40psi all around once on my 2001 Prius - any time I had to do a panic stop (my commute had lots of Dunkin Donuts shops on the way - uncaffinated people suddenly stopping for coffee without signaling and such - grr!) and any time I panic stopped the car felt like it wanted to fishtail (back come around the front). I changed to 40psi rear, 38psi front, and the car just stuck and held in place when doing the same stop. personally, I like a +2.5 to +3psi bias in the front for stopping characteristics.

Also, what type of roads are you driving on?

Do you often turn your tires when your car is not moving (scrubbing the tires on the pavement)?

How quickly to you take turns? (I find myself taking turns far too quickly in my Prius, as I don't really notice the speed...)

Have you had your alignment checked? If you're getting the average

20,000 miles on the OEM tires, then it's probably OK, but if you're getting far less than that it's usually the alignment...

All can lead to higher tire wear.

There are alternate tires out there that you can investigate, which have a higher treadwear rating (longer life). Your Toyota dealer will only tell you about the OEM tires, but as long as you keep the same load rating or better than the OEM tires, you should be fine. For some suggestions, see:

BTW: you'll find far more Prius owners over at:
for the 2004+ Prius:

mrv

Perhaps. With driver and passenger, the F/R ratio is even more favorable to winter traction. This ration also explains the recommendation for 35 psi front and 32 psi rear, a compensation to improve handling that shouldn't be ignored.

I live in the midwest where long stretches of the interstate highways have tractionized concrete. These surfaces aren't just noisy, they are continuously grinding away at one's tires as evidence by the two black stripes in each lane.

Bill

Bravo!! One of the best posts ever to the group! Should be enshrined in the Prius Owner's Group Hall of Fame! Chock full of good info and good ideas.

KK

Reply to
Kevin Kirkeby

It was a well known problem with premature wear on the Potenzas that cam e with the 2001. The ones on my 2001 lasted less than 15000 miles, including a blowout on one. I replaced them with warehouse club Michelins, which still looked good when I sold the car with 60000 miles and I still got 50mpg overall. Many others were able to get a free set of tires from the dealer when they first showed excessive wear. In retrospect, that is what I should have done. I'm happy with the Goodyears that are OEM on my 2004 Prius. 8000 miles and no obvious signs of excessive wear.

Bill

Reply to
Bill McCalla

wanted

oops. typo. should read "I changed to 40psi front, 38psi rear, and the car just stuck..." Keep the higher psi in the front.

Reply to
mrv

You people are awesome! Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions!

Mike

Reply to
joneses7