Toyota 2012 Description

I wasn't sure when it would come out but here it is:

". . . There?s big news for the 2012 Prius in the audio/infotainment area, with new standard systems for Prius Two, Three and Four models. The Prius Two, features a new Display Audio touch-screen system with a 6.1- inch screen. The AM/FM CD player unit offers MP3/WMA playback capability with six speakers, a USB port for iPod® connectivity, auxiliary input jack, Bluetooth® hands-free phone capability and audio streaming. The display also provides vehicle information and allows the driver to customize vehicle settings.

I don't get it. Both my cell phone and iPod Touch connect simultaneously to the audio system in my 2010. Moreover, both can be controlled with button on the steering wheel. The USB jack was added mid-2010 but the Bluetooth connection works so well with the iPod as to make that unnecessary. There is nothing "new" about this.

Reply to
Al Falfa

The "6.1 inch screen" is the new, standard feature. We bought one of the first 2010s in May 2009 and there is no screen. When backup cameras become standard, Toyota will already have the display in the car and no doubt there is a video interface. But thanks for the tip about using Bluetooth control of an iPod.

My iPod was replaced with an iPad but I've not tried to Bluetooth connect in my wife's car. I've been using the AUX audio port and a Griffin plug which provided power for the battery limited iPod. It works OK with the iPad but sometimes you want to skip or pause a podcast. I'll give it a try.

Bob Wilson

The screen in my 2010 is a little over 6" and screens *were* standard in my

2005. The Bluetooth connection is superb. A few weeks ago I backed my card out of the garage and did a double take when my iPod playlist started up. At first I thought I'd left the iPod in my center console, checked, and it wasn't there. The car had engaged my iPod where it sat in a little stand near my desktop PC about 50' away and through two walls. I lost the connection as I pulled out of my driveway.

I have no idea how one configures the Bluetooth interface without a screen. Mine is configured to work with two iPods, one at a time. After being configured you simply go into the iPod's music app, select a playlist, and close the app. The Bluetooth interface will open the app and pick up on the last song played. If you get a call, it pauses the music and starts it back when the call is finished. The button on the wheel than otherwise control a CD can be used to skip backward or forward in the playlist. The audio screen has pause, skip back and skip forward buttons. The first time you go to the audio screen the BT choice will be gray (not selectable) and won't be available until you first pair the device to the car. That is done on another screen. I found the instructions on the 'net.

Reply to
Al Falfa