Toyota loses its way

I'm just going to kill file you and save us both a lot of wasted typing.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

i have a better solution - don't post fabricated bullshit, then people won't call you on it. guaranteed to work.

Reply to
jim beam

My buddy the Ford dealership tech does appx 80% warantee work. My buddy at Toyota does appx 15% warantee work.

Thats why I still hold Toyota in much higher regard than Ford.

Ben

Reply to
ben91932

... said the pot, while pointing his crooked little finger at the kettle.

You've posted nothing but unsubstantiated assertions for as long as I can remember.

1.) E-spec lighting is illegal because Detroit says so. Yeah, right. 2.) Foreign cars have separate turn and brake lamps, Detroit cars have the same light for brakes and turns. Yeah, right. 3.) Metric doesn't work in America because Detroit says so.

Having said that, I'd not expect any transmission to hold up for very long while pulling "full throttle shifts A FEW TIMES PER WEEK." Why on earth would anybody subject an econo-box of any make or model to full throttle shifts a few times a YEAR, much less a few times a week? (which is the same position that Jim Beam is taking) That's absurdity that exceeds the assertion that Detroit blocks e-spec lighting from coming here.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

You're the reason why buying a Used Car is a dangerous proposition. If you drive all cars to red line before they shift, you're doing serious damage to the engine and the transmission.

I had automatic transmissions that made this kind of shift a handful of times in all of the years I owned them, and none that ever made them more once in the same quarter. There isn't an automatic transmission made that's intended to make full throttle shifts at or near red line, a few times a week.

It doesn't matter that you claim you do it all of the time, it's no way to treat your machine. Ever. Period.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

He's pissed all he could afford was a Tercel and was trying to make a Drift racer out of it.

Reply to
Hachiroku

In message , =?iso-2022-jp?q?Hachiroku_$B%O%A%m%/(B?writes

On a slightly different tack, on the times I've been to America, I have used hire cars (obviously), but I've found that kickdown takes about 4 or 5 seconds to activate which is quite disturbing when you're trying to overtake. Why does it take so long.

Reply to
Clive Coleman

You're getting some low-spec inexpensive cars that have already been beaten on like, well, rental cars by everyone that's driven them before.

In other words, they weren't that good to begin with, and they've been severely abused besides.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

BTW this has NOT been my experience with recent GM products, my complaint is that they downshift at the slightest provocation, and also the torque converter locks and unlocks constantly (it unlocks whenever you lift your foot completely off the accelerator, for example, and then re-locks a few seconds after you get on the gas, which drives me freaking apes**t and also lets the car essentially freewheel down hills)

All this hectic action can't be good for the transmixer, I think I will have the fluid changed in the Impala at its next service (should be

35000 miles unless the oil change light comes on sooner)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

In message , Nate Nagel writes

I agree with you, plus the fact that you most probably look after your car.

Reply to
Clive Coleman

Drifting in a FWD? I thought one got FWD to avoid drifting. There's nothing in the whole world like hanging the back end out and feathering the gas to make the car drift sidways across the parking lot.

I suppose winding the motor to redline to force a shift, "a few times a week," is somthing one might do while trying to drift the rear end. No, that wouldn't work.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Four or five seconds?!?!?!

My Subaru takes about a half an hour!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Are you kidding??? I've always driven my American cars that way, I LIKE accelerating. I've never had a domestic go bad due to this, only the Toyota. I'm not saying every Toyota will fail, it's just MY experience. If a car can't take full throttle shifts a few times a week it's a piece of crap that's severely under designed.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Hardly. It was left over from the in-laws when they died. And they put gentle miles on it. Even so, it blew the head gasket while they had it. Then the Transmission failed. All before 110,000 Toyota quality????

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

The thing had around 90 hp. Drifting wasn't in the program.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

If a car is subjected to full throttle shifts a few times a week, it's being severely abused. Thanks for playing. You know I'm right because you have had to pay for repairs that resulted from the abuse you put your cars to.

You're the reason they don't rent cars to people under 25. They know you can't drive for shit, and you destroy the equiment.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

It is also FWD, which would pretty much exclude drifting also. I was thinking that the redline shift points might indicate that you didn't know that FWD cars don't drift very well.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Even worse. You took a gently driven car and managed to destroy it?

And head gaskets are known on this car. Must have been prior to 1994. Easy fix. You can lift the engine out of the engine bay yourself.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Ah, the Typical Toyota apologist reply, ignore the lack of quality as if the fact that it's actually repairable excuses it.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

You're delusional. ANY car worth it's salt can easily take several full throttle shifts A DAY, my domestics have NEVER had a problem doing so. If you don't think so then you have no knowledge of cars and their capabilities, at least no knowledge of decent cars.

You seem to be confusing abuse with hard driving. Not the same.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher