Urgent info needed!

Hi all,

I?ve just test drove a 2005 Prius , and I like the car so much, but there is one thing that I?m not sure, hope you guys can help.

The car has a slightly stuttering on pickup from stand still. The harder I press the gas pedal, the slightly stronger stuttering I felt. But all I?m talking is light stuttering, it was just like a gear change. But that shouldn?t be any gear change on pickup I supposed, am I right? :roll:

Cheers

Reply to
smoke

Mine has always done that - although I think only when the ICE isn't running. Don't actually know what causes it but I imagine a couple of things: - (1) Unlike a conventional car, the electric traction motor is not spinning until you press the gas pedal, so has to spin up from standstill itself. There may be a little unavoidable roughness at very low revs that is characteristic of all electric motors? (2) Could it be that the ICE is attempting to start at the same time as the car is accelerating from standstill ? This might put an instantaneous load on the power train that would translate to a little roughness in acceleration.

Like I said, I don' t know if either of these possibilities are fact, but I do know that mine has done it since new and seems none the worse for it. NO doubt those more knowledgeable than I will contribute.

Regards

Chas

Reply to
Chas Gill

My 07 has had a small pause in there from the beginning.

The harder I press the pedal, the more noticeable it is--not because it's more of a pause, but because if I'm pressing harder that means I want more out of it right now.

I've learned to feather the pedal a very tiny bit starting out, THEN give it the full go I want. But again, it doesn't matter--the same lawyer-defined behavior is there no matter how I press the pedal.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

"smoke" ...

Here is what I think is going on, as mine does something that can be described this way as well.

When the gas engine is off and you press on the pedal, it will start with only the electric motor, then the gas motor will kick in. It is supposed to do this by design. Since the type of gas engine it uses is not go good at low rpm torque but really good at higher rpm performance, it uses the really good low end torque of the electric engine to start it off, then the gas engine kicks in. I don't think of it as a stutter, but rather I would use the word ever so slight shudder.

I believe what you are sensing is the gas engine kicking in after a second of it moving off of zero velocity. Like the other responders I would not worry about this. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Thanks all of you! Now I have no more worry for that. :)

I think I will go for the Prius that I test dove earlier. :P BTW., any common fault that I should bewear ?

Cheers,

George

"Tomes" wrote: > "smoke" ... > > Hi all, > >

Reply to
smoke

I have the 2005 Prius and I love it. The only fault I have with the car is that the display (odometer) reflects on the windsheild at night, making it hard to see. My mother has the 2006 model and they have moved the display to the right so it is not right in that iimportant field of vision. Good luck!

Kirsten

Reply to
Kirsty Wursty

Kirsten,

I have a 2005. The reflection largely goes away if your arms are long enough to clean the windshield and display glass. It's quite a reach and I have to clean it twice to completely remove the precipitates that gather there.

Reply to
Was Istoben

This is what I use to clean the windshield:

It makes it easy to reach down to the bottom of the windshield & into the corners.

Reply to
Mr. G

I'm sure what you are asking about is any hidden worry, like head gaskets, transmission trouble... the sorts of things that give used car buyers the willies. I don't know of anything like that with the 2005 Prius. My wife and I have a couple of 2002 Prius cars (the sedan style) that are not even as refined as the 2005 model, and they have been by far the most relaible cars we have owned. Hers has 94K miles and mine has 120K miles, and neither one has needed anything except routine maintenance, tires, and one windshield apiece (this is Arizona, where windshields are consumables). No worries on that count.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Nice! Is it small enough to do the glass on top of the odometer display too?

Reply to
Was Istoben

No, it's too large for that-- it measures approx. 6 1/2" x 8".

Reply to
Mr. G

Er, a reflection is a reflection. He's not talking film on the 'screen.

Reply to
News

Poor choice of words on my part. Sorry I confused you. If the windshield is clean it doesn't reflect the display.

Reply to
Was Istoben

Of course it does, but you don't get back scatter from the film, which seems to be the distraction.

Reply to
News

Thanks! I will try that. Being here at the "top of the world", we do an awful lot of night driving in the winter (because it is almost always night). I don't have the cool cleaning tool but will try with a microfiber cloth and a spatula or something.

Kirsten

Reply to
Kirsty Wursty

I do a lot of that too and, like you, have been bothered by the reflection. The film seems to be caused by a combination of outgassing from the plastics and cigarette smoke. I quit smoking a year ago and I suppose the outgassing diminishes with time. To get rid of it I first wash it with a mild solution of dish soap and water. In my smoking days that would turn the cloth orange. I did the second washing with Windex. I'm definitely going to look for that cool tool.

Reply to
Was Istoben

relaible

neither

Cheers Mike,

I just pickup the car today, still getting use to it. :wink:

Reply to
smoke

"Kirsty Wursty" ...

I solved that very problem by just dimming the intensity of the display so that I can still see it fine, but at maybe half of the brightness. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

I will have to try that too. I only recently discovered that knob. At the moment I am waiting to get plates on the car, having moved it overseas. So it has just been sitting in the garage since Sept. 15th.

Reply to
Kirsty Wursty