Vehicle Gas Consumption - Accurate?

The "original question" was not an MPG calculation.

The "original question" is "why is the Prius calculated MPG

*consistently* wrong?"

Not one time, *consistently* wrong, in ONE DIRECTION.

Not a V-O-L-U-M-E error.

Reply to
News
Bruce Richmond

Try a gallon of zero energy content gasoline and estimate the MPG.

Reply to
News
Reply to
Bruce Richmond

I see you don't understand reference to a limiting case. Or the issue.

Reply to
News
Reply to
Bruce Richmond

quoted text -

quoted text -

To the point, do you see any indication of the OP's observation -- consistent calculated MPG error and directional bias?

Reply to
News
Reply to
Bruce Richmond

That is a contradiction. One gallon of 87 octane is the same volume as 87 E10 and the same volume as 89 octane. The octane does not change what a gallon is.

OTOH, I am not convinced that the gallon count on the pump is accurate. I filled a 5 gallon can with over 5.25 gallons and it already had some gas in it. I strongly suspect that many pumps, verified or not, are charging for inflated gallon figures.

Reply to
Michael Dobony

  • I drive an '05 Prius.

Since January, 2005 I have filled the gas tank exactly 316 times, consuming exactly 2,253.713 gallons of gas, for a total cost of $7,005.11 (please note that I am an engineer, a spread-sheet freak, and I keep every gas purchase slip ? weird!) While I have owned this car, I have driven exactly 110,898.8 miles.

Take out your calculator and divide: 110,898.8 miles by 2,253.73 gallons.

MPG (long-term average) = 49.21 miles per gallon.

I have not averaged the estimated MPG, but I could easily. I suspect that it would be greater than the actual, but not by very much -- a few percent.

I could easily add a column to the spreadsheet that computes the percent difference between the actual and estimated MPG. Maybe I'll do that.

earle

*
Reply to
Earle Jones

Is that UK or USA gallon?

Over my first few fills my Prius C is using 5.0litres/100km or about

56mpg (UK gallon)

TonyB

Reply to
Tony Bryer

quoted text -

Loath as I am to get involved in newsgroup pissing contests, this seems to be verging into the "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?" question.

There are many variables in gasoline consumption, including but not limited to how one drives, the weather conditions, traffic flow, whether you fill up (sic) at 2 PM in the summer or 7 AM in the winter, the gasoline blend (E10 is becoming more common year-round in some states, and in winter months in others), the type and size of the tires on the vehicles, etc. I suspect most folks drive their cars to get from here to there, not for a chemistry lesson.

I have two hybrids, and while I find the on-board MPG calculations interesting, I also keep spreadsheets that calculate MPG and $PG based on the data given which is not precise but is good enough for what I want to know, i.e., "How am I doing? Is there something needing attention with my car or with my driving? Are my tires properly inflated, needing rotation or re-balancing or replacement? Is it time to replace the fuel filter? How soon do I need to refuel (that one usually is off to the sooner than later side). Wow now matter which way you drive I-80 across Wyoming, the wind rarely is right behind you."

Even if I knew the chemistry of the fuel - for each and every fill-up, what practical difference would it make to me? I'm not designing an engine or working for a refinery. I'm driving a car. I suspect that most folks in the real world care more about the immediate practical factors than the theoretical, of which even the fuel chemistry is only one component.

Reply to
Green Eggs & No Spam