warning buzz--what does it mean?--+ chat

As I went to get out of the car, the buzzer sounded. It was accomapnied by both directional arrows showing. Couldn't figure out what the problem was, and it was not in the manual either. Now, I note when I lock or unlock the car, I see those two simultaneous directional arrows, which I had not noticed before at such junctures. Any ideas about this?

My friend, who had thought I was stupid to get the Prius now says I was prescient. Of course, that's not true, but it was nice to hear. I have to wonder how many folks will be wanting a Prius now, and how Toyota might not get as much business as it might have if they are not hard to get (at some dealerships).

Reply to
Jean B.

At $3.00 per gallon of gasoline, I would imagine that many people will be standing in line at Toyota Dealers on Tuesday to get a Toyota Prius.

Stan

Reply to
Stan and Dee Bringer

Could it be that you had not turned off the car?

They're standard. when you lock or unlock the car, the lights flash; the car uses the hazard blinker to do this, so the directional lights flash too.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

It is possible I guess. I checked to see whether it was in park, which it was. It didn't comment when I got back in and left again but maybe I'd better go check....

I must have just not noticed that before, but it seems pretty noticeable. Odd.

Reply to
Jean B.

Actually, as I think about it, it's possible I didn't push Power firmly enough. I have seen myself doing similar things.

Reply to
Jean B.

During the first dew days I owned it, I walked off with it "running" a couple of times. Couldn't figure out why the thing was beeping at me, and when I got back in I couldn't figure out how the thing was smart enough to turn itself on before I hit the power button. Talk about confused.:)

Reply to
Mr. Skeptic

Happened to me a couple of times too. :-)

I think the car has me broken in now.

Reply to
Ingenuous

Mine didn't do that. I may have read it turns off after a set amount of time? Also, I did get back in after it buzzed. Had to turn it on to see the screen, so I think it was actually off. I dunno. It was fine today....

But it seems easy to forget this....

Reply to
Jean B.

Hi I live in South Africa and have had a Prius since March 2005. 12000 kilometers = about 7500 miles. The only model sold here is the right hand drive UK B version, with a manual key fob with 2 buttons to open & close locks. However I suspect the buzz you refer to is when you have turned off the power, and opened the door, but not yet removed the key fob from the dashboard. Also - if you had any park, fog or drive lights on, and are turning off the power, there is a buzz to remind you to kill the lights. Peter F Johannesburg

Reply to
Peter Fleming

I've yet to put my fob in the dashboard slot. This conversation reminds me, however, of another fob related matter. I was getting gas and my friend left her purse in the car when she went to use the rest room. After I gassed up I tried to lock the car but couldn't. It took me a while to figure out that her fob was in her purse inside the car. Having once locked my keys in a car, I really appreciate this feature.

Reply to
Ingenuous

[replied in email, because I first saw this msg there ]
Reply to
Jean B.

The North American model Prius will automatically turn off the headlights for you if you turn off the car and open the driver's door. The UK version will just buzz at you.

Since you are in South Africa, are you aware of the local Prius discussion group:

If you look in the US 2004 Prius Owner's Manual (should be similar page on 2005), on pages 24-27 (table on page 27) which lists different types of inside and outside beeps and their meanings. Could be anything from leaving the key inside the vehicle while trying to lock the car, to taking the key outside of the vehicle while it's still on, and a bunch of other reasons...

Reply to
mrv