When to expect 3rd-generation?

The president of Toyota has said they'll offer the 3rd-generation Synergy drive in 2008. This is supposed to be lighter (ergo, better mileage) with better performance, and is supposed to cut the cost differential between their hybrids and conventional cars.

I'd like to wait to buy this, but it partially depends on how long the wait will be. Does anyone know if this means the 3rd-generation Synergy will appear:

- in the 2008 model year, hence first appearing at the end of 2007?

- in late calendar 2008, as the 2009 model year?

- some other time in calendar 2008?

Thanks!

Reply to
Newser

Only Toyota knows. But when auto manufacturers speak of years, they're speaking of model years. But who knows when the 2008 Prius will be released? Only Toyota does, and even they may not know yet.

The 2002 Acura TL came out in March 2001; the 2007 Toyota Camry came out in March or April 2006; the 2005 Scion xB came out in June 2004. Other cars and models usually come out late in the calendar year before the model year.

But I don't know offhand of any model-year car released in the calendar year of the same number.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner