214 ecu

Hi all, does anyone know if it is possible to make adjustments to a 1994 214 si ecu. I know it would probably mean a main dealer trip. My problem is that since a new ecu was fitted I annually have trouble with the co emissions at mot time. Everything else has been exchanged or tested and wits end is looming.

cheers ferd

Reply to
Ferdie

It is possible, but unlikely to help as the system should self-adjust. Have you changed the inlet manifold gasket? - the original is bound to be rotten on a 1994 car, and the air leaks into some cylinders more than others which the ECU can't correct for. Mines been fine for MOT emmisions since changing, always marginal before.

Reply to
Bob Davis

CO levels not adjustable via ECU on this model, in fact not adjustable at all, exactly what emissions problems are you having? do you have print outs for the emissions test? this would help in rectifying your problem. steve.

Reply to
steve

Hi steve,

For about the last three years,since having the new ecu and also I've fitted a new exhaust system this year complete with new cat, the emission levels sorta fluctuate whilst testing in the following way:

Everything up to temperature and the co reading is around 2.0 and fluctuates downwards to a minimum of around .70 but nowhere near the .3 (I think) required.

The strange thing is that if you wait long enough, sometimes 2-3 hours!! of engine running, something seems to "click" and the co falls below the limit and stays there

Any ideas ??

Everything is up to temperature

Reply to
Ferdie

Do not forget that there is an oxygen sensor in the exhaust if this is on the way out the co emissions can be high.

Hope this helps

Mart

In article , Bob Davis writes

Martin Boast Suppliers of odour testing & associated Company promotional products. Visit

Martin Boast

mmmm...interesting, well if the catalyst is working correctly it should just be able to cope with a 2% CO level and convert that down to zero (or thereabouts) the catalyst works independantly of anything else and basically converts any carbon monoxide (CO) into carbon dioxide (CO2) having said that if the levels of CO entering the catalyst are extremely high (you wont know unless you disconnect the catalyst and test the gasses pre-cat) then it may be that the catalyst is working overtime and can only bring the levels down this far. it might pay to have a diagnostic check to test the map sensor, throttle pot air flow etc to make sure everything else is working correctly before condeming the cat. it it possible that you have a faulty catalyst in which case if its reasonably new it should still be under warranty.

Reply to
steve

Steve, Thanks for the reply, what I failed to make clear is that I had the same problem with the old cat and thought fitting a new one complete with new exhaust system would be the end of my troubles !

I think my only answer is to do like you suggest, have a diagnostic check done, which will probably mean a trip to my rover dealer. :-(

Reply to
Ferdie

did you replace the lambda sensor when you replaced the catalyst, if this is faulty this too would explain high CO levels. steve.

Reply to
steve