214 idle/non starting problem

Rover 214si K16 mpi 1993

I have a problem which I hope someone can help me out with:

Car will not start on the key BUT will immediately start on a tow rope.

Once started the car runs perfectly (no misfire, revs perfectly so I am sure that the timing is ok) but stalls immediately on idle. I kept the car running until fully warmed up but still will not start on key afterwards.

On the key the engine cranks fine, checked CAS signal with multimeter and seems ok (rpm needle jumps on cranking) fuel pump seems to start, there is a spark and fuel. Have checked all fuses in engine bay and interior. Inertia switch has not tripped. Battery checked with tester. Cat/exhaust is not blocked.

Engine has been rebuilt due to a head gasket failure (also replaced plugs, distributor, rotor arm, CAS, cambelt, all gaskets) and swapped in another ECU but still problem persists.

I will check all remaining components and loom this weekend but would appreciate any other ideas.

Thanks in advance for any assistance

Justin

Reply to
Justin

its possible that you may be a tooth or 2 out on the engine timing, double check it. remember to view the crankshaft marking you need to remove the bottom pulley, do not use the markings on the pulley itself, these are not for engine timing.

Reply to
steve

Thanks Steve - had this checked again and looks ok. Checked the compressions and they were very low on all cylinders its possible that you may be a tooth or 2 out on the engine timing, double

Reply to
Justin