216SLi Won't start

I've been working away for the past couple of weeks and when I get back home the wife announces that her car (a 95N 216SLi) won't start.

I have a quick look at it - battery is completely flat and there's no petrol in it. No problems, just charge the battery, fill her up and away it'll go... not. So, it's now got a charged battery and petrol in it but it still ain't going anywhere.

From what she said, it was running fine. She parked up but then didn't use it for over a week. When she then tried to use it, she flattened the battery trying to start it.

Now when I try to start it, it turns over, runs for a couple of seconds then dies. If I then try to start it again, it does'nt sound like it's firing - there's a distanct smell of petrol comming from the exhaust.

Any suggestions before she steals my car?

Mike

Reply to
Mike Wynne

If you can smell petrol in the exhaust then I'd take the spark plugs out and make sure they're not sodden with fuel. If so dry them out and try again. If still no luck then remove a plug and make sure it is getting a good strong spark across it's contacts.

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis

The rain finally subsided this afternoon for me to take a look. Turned out a quick rub on the rotor arm with some emery paper and it started first time. I wonder if the wife would appreciate a new rotor arm and cap for her birthday?

Thanks, Mike Wynne

Reply to
Mike Wynne