218SD power steering question ..

Hi All,

I have noticed of late on the old 91, 97k 218SSD that the steering feels heavy / notchy on startup. It feels ok once you have a few revs on and seems ok after startup and once you have pulled away from the kerb?

The fluid level is up and I can't hear any slipping belt type noises (would I anyway?) and I think they felt ok when I recently changed the cambelt?

So, any clues / checks please?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

possibly that the pump is wearing and is taking a bit longer to build up pressure to the steering rack. if its ok after a few revs personally i would leave it till it goes completely, it may stay like this for quite a while before it gives up. steve.

Reply to
someone

Thanks for that Steve,

It doesn't seem to have gotten any worse so you may well be right .. I'll check the belts and fluid though af if all is ok just see what happens ..

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m