414 Temp Gauge

Hi,

My temp gauge wasn't working, so I installed a new sender unit from a rover dealer - and the gauge still isn't working. Is there a typical/common problem with these as all fuses a present and correct. Perhaps someone knows how to check the wiring from the sender 'plug' to gauge? - before I cut off the plug!!

Kind Regards

-Steve

Reply to
SG

steve

try using a wire between the electrical block that connects to the sender unit and earth and see if the gauge deflects to maximum. if so then the gauge is ok.

i had the same situation on my 214. i replaced the sender unit and tried a different gauge but still the gauge wouldn't register.

the head gasket blew recently and i wonder whether the reason may be due to incorrect coolant level even though the expansion tank level was correct. maybe an air block that caused the gauge not to work. this then resulted in the engine getting too hot then...the head gasket problem.

i'm only guessing and don't want to alarm you but these engines seem to have cooling issues and you need to take care. perhaps either get a garage to check the cooling system over or do it yourself. drain the system and refill. start the engine and then open up the bleed screw and put the fan on to hot on full blast. when warm water is coming out of the bleed screw then tighten up and hopefully that side of things will be ok.

regards jim

Reply to
jm

Have you replace the correct sender? The one for the gauge is situated on the coolant elbow beneath the engine management temp. sensor.

Reply to
Jon