420GSI (Bubble) NSR whining/binding ?

97 R reg GSI saloon, discs all round (ABS), there's a fairly loud whining/binding noise from NSR that's got considerably louder last 1000 miles. The rear pads were replaced before this started, the handbrake is adjusted fine, the wheel spins fine and having jacked the car up there doesn't seem to be any excessive up and down or otherwise 'play' in the wheel.

Is this sounding like the bearing which as I understand (from Haynes) is an integral part of the hub assembly and thus not replaceable as a bearing kit.

If it is the bearing/hub, is this within the realms of a reasonably competetent driveway mechanic, and what's the best source of the part, new, or a used hub from the breakers

Any other suggestions/advice.

TIA

Reply to
GSI

It'll be the bearing. Thinks about it, you jack the car up and spin the wheel, it sounds OK. But remember, there's now no weight on it so it tends to sound fine. I had one go just like it. If you have a local place with a powered rolling road, put it on there and you'll soon hear it.

I've never done a Rover 400 one but they're all much the same, not too difficult a job I'd imagine. I wouldn't even consider a breakers though, false economy.

Andy J.

Reply to
Andy J.

I did the job myself a couple of weeks ago and apart from having to buy a torque wrench and a 32mm socket it was a straightforward task I completed on my drive in a couple of hours (thanks to a rounded off bottom calliper bolt head).

I did in the end get a second hand hub with 80,000 miles on for a tenner (20,000 less than mine), it went on fine and is silent so I'm happy enough with it for what's basically a =A34-=A3500 car.

Thanks for the reply.

Reply to
GSI