'96 214 concerns?

Hi all,

I'm new to rovers, my dad had an old 820 but nothing since then. Now my girlfriend want a new car and she is looking at the new style 214, P reg sort of age. Are there any known issues with these? She wants something that will be cheap and reliable. Parkers (mis)guide says they are good and reliable but they also claim my car gets 30mpg - not a chance, I get 22 :)

So, anything I should know? real world mpgs? head problems? areas likely to have failed or likely to fail soon?

Many thanks all,

James

Reply to
Coyoteboy

With a bit more research I found the whole K-series engine issues. Wont be buying one now then.. J

Reply to
Coyoteboy

To be honest, there isn't such a big deal about them. I was foreman at a Rover dealership and fair enough head gaskets do fail (Before 1999 - modified after then) but I have NEVER had to replace a block or head, I used to skim the head only if necessary. Other than that, there is nothing else mechanically that really goes wrong with them. Just look after them, service them every 12 months/12000 miles and you wont go far wrong.

Al

Reply to
Alan

I did wonder about this TBH - ive had gasket failures on other cars, whapped another on and done plenty more miles. The problem is it is for my girlfriend and I'm a touch wary - she works odd hours and long motorway drives - id hate her to have a frequent problem.

Did you have recurring issues with cars keep coming back? Can the mods be made to the older engines? I believe it has something to do with plastic dowels but I'm getting many conflicting reports. I'm sure it cant be that big a deal - after all, the engine is used in many cars, but I dont want to be stuck with a lemon - she can only really afford a 97-98 car at a stretch :(

Coyoteboy

If you were to get a new gasket from a Rover dealer, it will be the modified type, complete with 2 metal dowels to replace the plastic standard ones. I have never used any other brand of gasket on a Rover, I always insist on genuine gaskets so I don't know if other brands are modified. This mod can be done to any K series, 8 or 16valve, and 1100cc-1800cc. Nothing else stood out as a major recurring fault. Although we did do a lot of remote handset replacement/reprogramming jobs. Not a big concern as long as you familiarise yourself with the car's EKA (Emergency Key Access) code. This allows you to knock off the immobiliser if the remote handset 'fob' fails. Make sure the car you choose has both fobs and the security card in the handbook (it will have the EKA and the Radio Security Code on it). Regards, Al

In message , Coyoteboy writes

Reply to
Alan

Thanks very much for that Al, of great help. 214 back on the shopping list now. If its as easy as a replacement gasket I'll do it myself in a couple of hours (providing it doesnt need a skim). I wondered how much people like watchdog blow things out of all proportion.

Much appreciated, James

Reply to
Coyoteboy

My old 214si J reg, used the same engine as the later ones, but way before the gasket mod. That one hit 170,000 before we scrapped it, I got it at

57,000 and the engine was still running sweet when it went.

We got rid of it as I got a company car and the wife said it was to big. I suppose then she only had a metro.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Anderson

Alan napisal nam:

What about alternator? It faild in my rover, it is made in Italy, Magnetti Marrelli (?) I think it is also common issue for rovers 200?

Reply to
krzys-iek

Similar experiences to Tim by me - I've had my 92 K-reg 214Si from new. Other than normal servicing, tyres, exhaust bits and two batteries, its never, ever gone wrong - probably why I've still got it now 12 years and

106k miles later.....

The Watchdog thing is just part of normal Rover ownership (along with all the 'old mans car' rubbish) in a world where advertorials from Journos are based on ad spend with them rather than real world experience.

Reply to
Andrew Murray

I'd consider an alternator replacement to be classed as general wear and tear, as after 70k miles some do begin to fail. Of course, some last indefinitely whilst others only last a few thousand miles but mainly 70k miles is good going when you consider the work they do.

Reply to
Alan

Err, our Mini Cooper Classic Sport LE (Rover Mini, not he BMW one) has a Magnetti Marrelli alternator and it has a sticker on it saying 'Made in the UK'!!

Reply to
Andrew Murray

Ive got a rover 214Si, 96 P reg, had quite a few problems, not sure if its just this car in particular; new starter, new alternator new petrol tank new head gasket new battery and had to replace radiator

Reply to
Rich