98 Rover 400 1.6 iS / Si ... PART III - stereo/remote on wheel

Final question -

this car is fitted with the standard radio/cassette unit with steering wheel controls. I would prefer to have a cd player fitted - and there is a nice triple disk head unit in Argos which seems ok.

The question is - will the steering wheel controls work with any Argos/Halfords etc stereo - or will I need to fit a Rover unit?

Thanks again.

Reply to
IT-Sacon Ltd

I fitted an Alpine unit, which comes with a seperate flipper to code translator unit. Code the translator, fit the radio with the correct adaptor cable and it works with the flippers just fine.

Depending where you are, I used Huets down here on the south coast (huets.co.uk I think), you can get a reasonable spec unit for a good price and the sound output is very crisp compared to the old Philips/Rover unit.

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

Thanks Paul... I am in Scotland so the south coast is quite far away! I was looking at getting something nice and simple from somewhere like Argos that has free fitting. But I want to be able to retain the use of the remote on the wheel.

Did you have to replace the flipper unit on your wheel - or did the translator unit fit to the back of the unit and allow the flipper to work?

Thanks again.

Reply to
IT-Sacon Ltd

At not point did I have to change any existing equipment apart from the radio and its metal carrier. The translator unit fits directly to the flipper plug that used to fit the old radio. The lead from the translator terminates into a 3.5 stereo jack that plugs directly into the Alpine unit. Two plug adaptors are required to translate from Rover to new equipment - this is something you will have to do regardless of whatever model radio/cd you decide to buy. The hardest part is programming the patch socket, it took me a while because not only are volume +- and up/down modes supported, if you wire the socket incorrectly you can end up controlling the bass, treble or any number of radio system functions, all from the existing wheel flippers. I ballsed it up twice because I was reading the instructions wrong.

Be also warned that over a certain wattage a direct power feed from the battery to the radio is usually needed. I have a 4x50watt output unit which is about the highest before extra piping is needed but the sound quality on the Alpine units, being so rich, I rarely have to wind up the volume above half power before it becomes too over powering.

I checked the web site of my supplier, have a look, it might give you a few ideas. The best advice I can give is get shot of the Rover radio.

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

If Alloys, Foglamps, and a decent Stereo are what you want, then why did you buy a poverty-spec model ?!?!

Reply to
Nom

Yes, with the appropriate adaptor. Go into Halfords, and tell them what you require. They will be able to sell you the appropriate stereo with the appropriate adaptor. Bear in mind that the adaptors are only available for certain stereos ! Also bear in mind that by buying a stereo from Halfords, you'll be paying upto DOUBLE the price. You'd be MUCH better off going somewhere like

- you'll see they are much cheaper. It'strivial to fit it yourself, or you can get your local car audio place to doit.

Reply to
Nom

Paul,

thanks again for getting back to me on this - I appreciate it.

I've had a look at the web link you sent and the prices and gear are pretty good.

Cheers,

Ken.

Reply to
IT-Sacon Ltd

woooh, that stung!

I bought this car because I was after one with air-con, electric windows and mirrors and a decent powered engine.... this one happened to have a full service history, was very well looked after (seat covers all round from new by the looks of) and was mot'd til the end of January. Oh, it was also a damn good price.

Reply to
IT-Sacon Ltd

MCS are a great supplier. Phone them up, and tell them your requirements - the Steering Wheel Controls are only available for certain cars and certain stereos, so you'll need a combination that will work together :)

Reply to
Nom